Community service for tourists at Goa rave parties?June 27th, 2011 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 27 (IANS) Tourists caught at rave party sites in Goa could henceforth be forced to do community service, an official said Monday.
Superintendent of Police, Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Ashok Thakker was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a Goa Police drug awareness programme launched here.
“Right now, the programme we are working with involves students. But tourists could also be included in the future,” Thakker said.
The NCB as well as the anti narcotics cell (ANC) of the state police have taken a leaf out of the Maharashtra Police’s book by roping in Pune-based Muktangan, an NGO specialising in drug de-addiction and rehabilitation.
Muktangan was instrumental in getting more than 80 college students do 150 hours of community work after they were caught at a rave party in a farmhouse near Pune last year.
“In Pune, the community programme involved students, but we could try out the same programme for tourists here, because you get a lot of them here. We must rope in the ANC and the NCB for this purpose,” said Sanjay Bhagat of Muktangan.
Goa is a hub of rave parties along beaches like Vagator, Anjuna Morjim in north Goa and Palaloem, Agonda in the south, where drugs are openly sold and consumed. Raves are heavily attended by foreigners as well as youngsters from Mumbai, Pune and Bangalore, which are an overnight journey away.
- Goa Police to probe African drug peddlers' nexus - Jun 13, 2012
- 'Southern Maharashtra transit point for Goa drugs' - Jun 27, 2011
- Ban rave parties, says Goa woman legislator - Jul 22, 2010
- Cocaine chronicles: Metros see steep rise in party drugs - Nov 09, 2011
- Goa home ministry to decide on loud parties - Mar 02, 2010
- Drug trade may increase during tourist season: Goa police - Nov 11, 2009
- No drugs, rave parties in Goa this tourist season - Oct 08, 2009
- Cop held in Goa drug nexus case - Oct 07, 2011
- Please save Goa from drugs and garbage: German Goaphile (Letter from Goa) - Jun 23, 2012
- Goa Police issued notice in Israeli drug dealer case - Dec 08, 2010
- Cop at rave party tests positive for drugs - Aug 06, 2011
- Australian held for peddling drugs - Jan 01, 2011
- Goa officer sold drugs from police warehouse, CBI told - Feb 04, 2011
- Cop arrested, suspended for joining rave party - Jun 27, 2011
- V-Day venom: Youngsters flirt with cobra drug (With Images) - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: anc, ashok, bangalore, drug awareness, farmhouse, foreigners, goa police, june 27, maharashtra police, narcotics control bureau, ncb, ngo, north goa, police drug, pune, sanjay bhagat, sidelines, specialising, state police, youngsters