Communal tension in Madhya Pradesh town, curfew clampedOctober 10th, 2008 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Oct 10 (IANS) Curfew was imposed on Madhya Pradesh’s Burhanpur town Friday following communal clashes that left dozens injured and resulted in shops and houses being torched, officials said.”Indefinite curfew was clamped in all the five police station areas of the town following communal tension, arson and stone-pelting,” said Burhanpur Police Superintendent M.K. Katakwar.
The communal tension began Thursday night when some miscreants pelted stones at a religious procession passing through Gandhi Chowk area. The situation was, however, immediately brought under control after elders from the communities intervened.
The police imposed prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code, barring the assembly of four or more people in the town.
Traders in Gandhi Chowk area Friday downed their shutters to protest the previous night’s violence. But in the afternoon, a group of people damaged shops and set some of them ablaze.
Soon, members of the two communities started pelting stones at each other, injuring more than a dozen people. Two houses were also torched in Lalbagh area even though curfew was in force, officials said.
“In Gandhi Chowk, at least eight shops were set ablaze by a mob. Curfew was imposed as firing in the air and lobbing tear gas shells failed to stop the violence,” Anil Kumar, Inspector-General of Police (Indore range), told IANS.
- Communal clashes claim three lives in Madhya Pradesh town (Lead) - Oct 11, 2008
- Curfew imposed in Andhra town - Mar 30, 2012
- Curfew imposed in old Hyderabad - Apr 08, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh communal clash: Death toll rises to eight - Oct 11, 2008
- People clash with police, dozen injured in Kashmir town - Mar 15, 2012
- Tension spilling over to Jammu - Mar 16, 2012
- Curfew lifted from Uttar Pradesh city - Aug 21, 2011
- Andhra town tense after communal violence (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Curfew relaxed for nine hours in Moradabad - Aug 13, 2011
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Rajasthan town remains tense after clash, curfew on - Aug 17, 2012
- Curfew imposed in old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 08, 2012
- Two more die in Kashmir, toll 59 - Aug 17, 2010
- Geelani arrested, dozens injured in Valley clashes (Night Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Toll in Hyderabad rises to two, curfew in more areas - Mar 31, 2010