Communal clash averted in AgraJuly 30th, 2008 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, July 30 (IANS) A clash between two communities triggered by a minor accident was averted just in time in a communally sensitive area here. The police intervened promptly Tuesday night when people from two communities in a neighbourhood under the jurisdiction of the Mantola police station took to the streets and threw stones at each other after a motorcycle rider hit a person from the other community.
Within minutes of the minor accident, people were seen wielding iron rods, ready to fight each other.
However, police intervened and worked out a compromise to avert another flare up in the area where last year in September curfew was imposed following communal riots.
Officials said a flag march late Tuesday night by police from neighbouring police stations had brought the situation under control.
- Curfew relaxed in Moradabad (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- 50 held for Uttar Pradesh communal clash - Aug 10, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in riot-hit old Hyderabad - Apr 11, 2012
- Two dead, curfew in riot-hit Mathura district (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 02, 2012
- Mathura tense, two dead - Jun 02, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad - Apr 10, 2012
- Curfew on in Moradabad, no fresh violence - Aug 11, 2011
- Curfew further relaxed in Moradabad - Aug 12, 2011
- Curfew continues in old Hyderabad - Apr 09, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Curfew imposed in Meghalaya - May 09, 2012
- Assam ministers rush to violence-hit Kokrajhar - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam toll now 18, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Extensive searches in Agra after Delhi incident - Sep 20, 2010