Commonwealth chief to meet Manmohan MondayOctober 20th, 2008 - 4:28 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 19 (IANS) Commonwealth Secretary General Kamalesh Sharma Sunday arrived here for talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his senior ministers on developments in South Asia and issues relating to the 53-member grouping of former British colonies.Sharma, India’s former high commissioner to Britain, will also call on Vice President Hamid Ansari and meet Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee Monday.
Sharma, who arrived here after attending the Commonwealth Youth Games in Pune, is on his first official visit to India after taking over as Commonwealth Secretary General six months ago.
He will Tuesday meet External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Finance Minister P. Chidambaram and Leader of Opposition L.K. Advani.
He will also meet Sports Minister M.S. Gill and discuss with him issues relating to the Commonwealth Games that India will host in 2010.
In his talks with Indian leaders, Sharma will discuss progress made in key focus areas agreed by leaders at the Commonwealth Summit in Kampala last year.
These include building respect and understanding between those of different faith, ethnicity and language; reforming the global - particularly financial - institutions; and progress on meeting the challenge of climate change.
Sharma will also discuss developments in South Asia, in particular Commonwealth work in the area of governance and democracy.
Also figuring on his agenda will be discussions on how Commonwealth member-states could mark the association’s 60th anniversary year in 2009, and talks with Indian business leaders.
Sharma is the first Indian to head a major multilateral body after Binay Ranjan Sen, who led the UN’s Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) in 1956.
- Commonwealth fails to pass the reforms test - Oct 30, 2011
- Kamalesh Sharma reappointed Commonwealth secretary general (Lead) - Oct 30, 2011
- Commonwealth Secretary General meets Manmohan Singh - Oct 20, 2008
- Commonwealth Secretary General to meet Manmohan Singh today - Oct 20, 2008
- Kamalesh Sharma on home visit after six months - Oct 15, 2008
- CHOGM call for removal of trade barriers on food exports - Oct 29, 2011
- Commonwealth to intervene in democracy subversion, rights monitor stalled - Oct 28, 2011
- Queen opens CHOGM 2011 - Oct 28, 2011
- India opposes moves against Colombo at Commonwealth meet - Oct 27, 2011
- India, Commonwealth discuss global meltdown - Oct 21, 2008
- PM's abscence from CHOGM not by design: India to Australia - Oct 25, 2011
- Mood sours as CHOGM stalls rights monitor move - Oct 29, 2011
- India wants only bilateral defence ties with Australia - Dec 07, 2011
- Commonwealth Games will be a turning point for India, says Sharma - Mar 29, 2010
- Commonwealth chief to take up Games workers' deaths in India - Mar 23, 2010