Common man was the focal point of Baba Farid’s verses, says expertNovember 28th, 2008 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Nov 28 (IANS) Extolling the poetry of Sufi saint Baba Farid, Syed Afzal Haidar, a judge of Shariat Court of Pakistan and a noted Sufi scholar, said the common man was the focal point of Baba Farid’s verses.”Baba Farid was the originator of the concept of ’spiritual democracy’ in the times of feudal monarchs in the medieval times, and emphasised the common ideological and theological basis of Sufism and other religions,” he said.
Haidar, who has also served as law minister of Pakistan, was in the city Friday to take part in the special lecture on ‘Sufi Thought of Sheikh Baba Farid’, organised by the department of Punjabi of the Panjab University here.
Badar Muinuddin Chisti, a 27th generation direct descendant from the family of Baba Farid, was also present during the occasion.
Haidar also condemned the practice of female foeticide prevalent in various regions of both India and Pakistan.
“Female foeticide is against the principles of any religion and community. It is a scar on the society and Punjabis living in both India and Pakistan should initiate a war against this malpractice to save their human values and cultural traditions,” he said.
- 'Sufis of Punjab' - Building bridges across borders (IANS Book Review) - Aug 30, 2011
- Ajmer set to host first global Sufi fest - Sep 22, 2011
- Muslim youth in India dissociate from terror: Sufi cleric - Apr 24, 2012
- Five-day annual fair dedicated to Baba Sheikh Farid concludes - Sep 24, 2009
- Annual Urs of Hazrat Shah Asrar celebrated with religious fervor in J-K - Nov 14, 2010
- Send Chisty to Pakistan, Zardari tells Manmohan - Apr 14, 2012
- Pakistan hails Indian bail to doctor - Apr 09, 2012
- Five-day annual fair dedicated to Baba Sheikh Farid held in Faridkot - Oct 06, 2009
- Amir Khusrau's legacy to come alive again (With image) - Feb 27, 2011
- PM's 'chair' offered to Cambridge professor - May 20, 2012
- Sufism binds millions of hearts in subcontinent: Abida Parveen - Feb 28, 2012
- Bollywood takes liberty with Sufi music: Hans Raj Hans - Oct 12, 2009
- New Delhi hosts Sufi music festival - Feb 27, 2010
- The journey to Ajmer Sharif - from Akbar to Zardari - Apr 05, 2012
- Pakistani prisoner Khalil Chisti steps out of jail - Apr 11, 2012