Colours, fun and frolic mark Holi in Andhra PradeshMarch 22nd, 2008 - 3:49 pm ICT by admin
Hyderabad, March 22 (IANS) “Holi hai” rent the air as people with boisterous enthusiasm celebrated the festival of colours in towns and villages across Andhra Pradesh Saturday. It was a riot of colours as people of all ages smeared each other with colours and joined the celebrations. People were seen drenching each other with buckets of colours in several neighbourhoods in the state capital.
Every one had their own way of enjoying the day, some celebrated the festival in their own traditional style while others danced at the special programmes organized in star hotels, clubs and resorts or gathered at the houses of their near and dear ones.
The more adventurous ones were seen zooming on their motorbikes splashing colours on every one, some two-wheelers carrying even three to four riders.
The young couples had a gala festivity, especially in the upmarket Hitec City, Banajara Hills and Jubliee Hills with the clouds and last night’s rains making the day more romantic for them.
Scenes of communal harmony were also witnessed as Muslims, Christians and other religious communities greeted their Hindu brethren.
Leaders and activists of the political parties also celebrated the festival with enthusiasm. Gandhi Bhavan, the headquarters of ruling Congress party, wore a festive look as party workers danced in gay abandon amid drumbeats and greeted each other with sweets and colours.
The leader of opposition N. Chandrababu Naidu played Holi with his followers at NTR Trust Bhavan, the headquarters of the main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP). Tribal banjara women also joined the festivities with the TDP chief.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) state president Bandaru Dattatreya and other party leaders and workers also played Holi at their party office.
The annual Holi function on the campus of Osmania University was held with much fanfare. The students and faculty played Holi in the traditional Telangana style and amid folk songs from the region.
Leaders and activists of Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS), which is fighting for separate statehood to Telangana, took part in the celebrations on the campus.
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Intro Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- Mulayam leads Holi celebrations in UP - Mar 08, 2012
- Telangana leaders arrested for road blockades in Hyderabad - Sep 28, 2011
- Osmania students begin fast, clash with police (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Clashes continue in Osmania University, protests rock Telangana (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- Tension, protests in Telangana mar Andhra formation day (Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- West Bengal celebrates Holi with traditional fervour - Mar 19, 2011
- Telangana protest reaches CM's office, strike continues - Sep 26, 2011
- While Andhra celebrates, Telangana activists mark 'black day' - Nov 01, 2010
- Patriotic fervour marks I-Day celebrations in Andhra - Aug 15, 2012
- TDP leaders held during protest march in Hyderabad - Jan 10, 2012
- Delhi revels peacefully in Holi colours (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- Telangana protests hit road transport, hundreds detained - Jan 17, 2011
- On Holi, Nitish dons pink for Badal - Mar 09, 2012