Colombia’s leftist insurgents free four hostagesFebruary 26th, 2008 - 3:36 pm ICT by admin
Caracas, Feb 26 (IANS) Colombia’s largest leftist guerrilla group, which has agreed to release some of its hostages following mediation by Venezuela’s leftist government, has freed four captives and asked Caracas to pick them up from a forest location, Spain’s EFE news agency reported Tuesday. “I want to announce that we now know with precision the place where the four captives in the hands of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) are to be delivered to our commander in chief and (Colombian) Senator Piedad Cordoba,” Venezuela’s Interior Minister Ramon Rodriguez Chacin said.
Chacin was addressing a press conference along with Venezuelan Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro Monday.
Maduro said he had already contacted Colombian authorities to request a suspension of military operations in the area.
The helicopters sent to pick up the hostages will spend no more than two hours on the ground, the ministers said, citing fears of military action by Colombian soldiers or rightist paramilitary groups.
Venezuelan officials, who last month received two other captives from the FARC in a similar operation, suggested the handover could take place as early as Wednesday.
The FARC announced Jan 31 that they would free three former legislators and former senator Jorge Eduardo G
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Colombian rebels set to release four hostages - Feb 27, 2008
- Colombian rebels to free six hostages - Jan 31, 2009
- FARC rebels release French reporter - May 31, 2012
- Colombian rebels to release long-held captive - Apr 17, 2009
- Colombian rebels to release one of the longest held hostages in the world - Mar 30, 2010
- Hostages released by Colombian rebels arrive in Venezuela - Feb 29, 2008
- Colombian rebel forces release video of hostages, one of them kidnapped over 12 years ago - Jun 08, 2010
- Colombia's FARC rebels release four hostages - Feb 02, 2009
- Venezuela, Colombia agree to resume relations - Aug 11, 2010
- Car bomb injures former Colombian Interior Minister Londoño, kills 2 - May 16, 2012
- Colombia rebels appear to soften terms for prisoner swap - Feb 10, 2009
- Chavez not to attend Americas summit - Apr 15, 2012
- Colombian rebels to free four hostages: France - Feb 21, 2008
- Venezuela, Colombia liberalise bilateral trade - Nov 29, 2011