Colombia sends troops to AfghanistanAugust 7th, 2008 - 5:06 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Aug 7 (DPA) Colombia will become the first Latin American country to participate in the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan, the Spanish daily El Pais reported Thursday. The Colombian unit comprising about 100 soldiers will be integrated into a Spanish force based in Qal-i-Naw in northwestern Afghanistan, the report said.
The Colombian soldiers, whose participation has been under negotiation for months, were expected to arrive in Afghanistan in the spring of 2009.
Spain will provide the Colombian troops with training, infrastructure and even equipment, according to El Pais. Many of the soldiers of the Spanish army serving on missions abroad are already Colombian immigrants.
The Colombian participation was expected to facilitate Spain’s task in maintaining order in restless Baghdis province.
For Colombia, its presence in Afghanistan will reinforce its position as a privileged partner of the United States and Latin American allies, according to the daily.
Fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan could also boost the Colombian government’s efforts to present its domestic Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) as a terrorist organization.
Spain has a contingent of about 800 soldiers in Afghanistan as part of the ISAF.
- Spanish troops to start leaving Afghanistan in January - Dec 07, 2011
- Spain to pull out from Afghanistan - Jan 17, 2012
- Afghanistan mission won't get easier as end nears: Spain - Jun 28, 2011
- Afghan girls learn Spanish from troops - Apr 05, 2010
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan blast - Sep 09, 2012
- Ten FARC members killed in army operation in southwestern Colombia - Mar 25, 2011
- Colombian rebels say they're holding French reporter - May 02, 2012
- Colombian rebels say they are holding French reporter - May 07, 2012
- Colombia to send 50 soldiers to Afghanistan - May 27, 2010
- Spain detains two Colombians suspected of 200 killings - Sep 14, 2010
- Huffington Post launches Spanish-language edition - Jun 08, 2012
- Two NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan blast - Jul 23, 2012
- 3 ISAF personnel killed in eastern Afghanistan - Dec 04, 2011
- Insurgents kill NATO soldier in southern Afghanistan - Nov 10, 2011
- NATO soldier dies in Afghanistan - Apr 29, 2012