Cologne draw in Karlsruhe, defender collapses on pitchAugust 30th, 2008 - 12:59 pm ICT by IANS
Karlsruhe (Germany), Aug 30 (DPA) Cologne’s Umit Ozat collapsed during his side’s 2-0 Bundesliga victory at SC Karlsruhe.Cologne’s goals were scored by Milivoje Novakovic and Marian Radu here Friday night.
Turkish defender Ozat suddenly fell to the ground without any apparent reason midway through the first half. The game was immediately stopped and several first aid personnel rushed to the player who was lying on the pitch.
Ozat was transported off the field after a few minutes and replaced. The stadium announcer later announced that the defender had regained consciousness and seemed fine, prompting fans of both sides to cheer.
The Turkish international was said to be responsive, but was going to remain hospitalised for the night.
The game itself was less interesting, as both sides - which are considered relegation candidates - seemed more content not to concede a goal than to score one.
Cologne finally opened the scoring in the 72nd minute after Portuguese midfielder Petit sent Geromel into space and his ball found Slovenian striker Novakovic who had no problems scoring with a header from 5 metres.
Another counter 12 minutes later allowed Novakovic to turn provider as he fed Marian Radu, whose shot gave goalkeeper Markus Miller no chance.
The victory sees Cologne climb to fourth in the table on four points, while Karlsruhe remain 10th with three points.
- Bundesliga leaders Dortmund five clear of Bayern with win over Cologne - Mar 26, 2012
- Cologne relegated, Dortmund break Bundesliga record - May 06, 2012
- Monchengladbach beat Cologne in Bundesliga - Apr 16, 2012
- Mainz share points with Hoffenheim in Bundesliga - Feb 18, 2012
- Three-goal Leverkusen go top; more woe for Wolfsburg - Jan 25, 2010
- Hamburg earns second victory in Bundesliga - Oct 17, 2011
- German club Cologne sack coach Solbakken - Apr 13, 2012
- Schalke, Hannover grab victories in German Bundesliga - Mar 19, 2012
- Stuttgart, Dortmund crash out of German Cup - Oct 28, 2009
- Bremen go top as Hanover and Bundesliga remember Enke - Nov 22, 2009
- Cologne, Bremen celebrate goal festival at Bundesliga - Dec 11, 2011
- Stuttgart beat Hoffenheim - Mar 17, 2012
- Bayern Munich reduces Dortmund's lead - Apr 01, 2012
- Bremen beat Cologne in Bundesliga - Nov 17, 2008
- Petric helps Hamburg down Cologne in Bundesliga - Dec 08, 2008