Colleges in Kanpur ban jeans on campuses to check eve-teasingJune 9th, 2009 - 5:25 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 9 (IANS) Four colleges for women in Uttar Pradesh’s Kanpur district have prohibited their students from wearing jeans on campus, citing the move will check eve-teasing incidents.
Dayanand Degree College (DDC), Acharya Narendra Dev College (ANDC), Sen Balika College (SBC) and Johari Degree College (JDC) - all affiliated to Kanpur University - have restricted their students from wearing jeans after a meeting held recently.
“When the college gets over, boys literally throng the gates. They (boys) often indulge in uncouth behaviour, particularly with those girls wearing body-hugging jeans. It’s a routine affair here,” DDC principal Meeta Jamal told IANS on telephone.
“After receiving several complaints of eve-teasing just outside the college gate, we decided to ban students from wearing jeans on campus. The college authorities in this regard today (Tuesday) issued a notice that has been displayed on the notice boards of all the departments,” she added.
A dress code for students is what the college authorities are planning next. “Soon there will be a dress code for the students after which they will not have to ‘waste time’ in choosing clothes for coming to college,” said Jamal.
Meanwhile, the students are up in arms against the college authorities for not allowing them to wear jeans.
“The decision taken by college authorities is illogical. If they want to check eve-teasing, they must approach the police,” said Shweta Chaturvedi, a DDC student of B.Sc.
Echoing similar views, another student Richa Sharma said: “Wearing jeans is common among college students. I can understand the ban against mini skirts and short tops, but why jeans?”
- Jeans prohibited on Kanpur college campuses (Lead) - Jun 09, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh colleges plan to ban jeans, set dress code - Jun 22, 2009
- Women legislators oppose banning jeans on campus - Jun 23, 2009
- UP government warns colleges against jeans ban - Jun 23, 2009
- Dress code in colleges to stop eve-teasing draws flak - Jun 11, 2009
- Kanpur college girls oppose dress code in campus - Jun 23, 2009
- Speaking out in anger: empower students, don't ban jeans (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2009
- No ban on jeans, Uttar Pradesh government warns colleges (Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- Speaking out in anger: empower students, don't ban jeans (Lead) - Jun 11, 2009
- Short skirts cause women harassment: Trinamool lawmaker - Jul 28, 2012
- 'Khap' bans jeans, mobile phones for girls in Uttar Pradesh village - Jan 18, 2011
- Dental college strike over T-shirt tiff continues - Feb 03, 2011
- Trinamool MLA clarifies 'short skirt' remark, Mamata refuses comment (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Bareilly College women teachers protest dress code - Oct 13, 2010
- Bhopal college bans female teachers from wearing western outfits - Dec 10, 2010