College student partially blinded after raggingApril 11th, 2009 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu), April 11 (IANS) A 20-year-old college student has been partially blinded after he was allegedly ragged by his seniors here, police said Saturday.
According to a complaint by P. Akhil Dev, a first year BBA student from Thiruvananthapuram, he suffered serious injuries on his jaw, nose and eyes after being ragged by five senior students March 7 for not giving them Rs.3,000 as “protection money”.
Cases have been registered against the five suspects under various sections of the Indian Penal Code for rioting (147), causing grievous hurt (323), criminal assault on person(s) (355) and criminal intimidation (505) besides the Tamil Nadu Prohibition of Ragging Act 1997, a police official said. The five are absconding.
The authorities at the P.S.G. college have refused to divulge names of the suspects but said they have been placed under suspension.
Meanwhile, over 30 students were arrested on charges of arson and rioting Saturday, and later released, after they attempted to block traffic alleging collusion between the police and the suspects.
- College student partially blinded after ragging (Lead) - Apr 11, 2009
- Seniors shoot at junior for protesting ragging - Aug 30, 2011
- Rajasthan colleges told to set up anti-ragging panels - Sep 11, 2012
- Smooth ride for freshers at DU - Jul 21, 2011
- Five students booked for ragging in Rajasthan - Sep 30, 2011
- Day one at DU: New students get a feel of campus - Jul 23, 2012
- Medical student suspended for ragging - Jan 03, 2012
- Three students held for ragging in Himachal - Aug 04, 2011
- Another ragging incident jolts India, this time in Tamil Nadu - Apr 12, 2009
- Student ragging, murder: Two varsity officials face case - Jul 02, 2012
- Police case against 16 for ragging - Sep 26, 2011
- Anti-ragging helpline for Uttar Pradesh colleges soon - Jun 16, 2012
- Godhra verdict: Sections under which 31 were convicted - Feb 22, 2011
- Kachru ragging death: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Roundup) - Nov 11, 2010
- Medical student alleges ragging - Sep 16, 2010