Coldest Feb 9 in five years, chill to continue Friday (Second Lead)February 9th, 2012 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 9 (IANS) The winter sun failed to provide any warmth as icy winds blew through the day as Delhiites were caught by surprise Thursday, the coldest Feb 9 in the last five years.
The minimum temperature dipped five notches below average to 4 degrees while the maximum temperature was three notches below average at 19 degrees Celsius.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) said the coldest Feb 9 prior to 2012 was in 2008 when the minimum temperature was recorded at 6 degrees. At 15 degrees, Feb 9, 2011 was the warmest in the past five years.
The lowest minimum temperature in February in the last 10 years was in 2008 when it fell to 2.8 degrees Celsius.
The humidity levels wavered between a high and low of 78 and 30 percent respectively.
As strong gusts of wind made Delhiites shiver, the sight of bonfires on roadsides returned to the capital as people attempte to fight the cold.
However, there seems to be no respite from the chill Friday with the IMD forecasting similar weather in store.
“There will be light mist in the morning and clear skies during the day but the chilly winds will continue to blow tomorrow (Friday),” said an official.
“The maximum and minimum temperature is expected to hover around 20 and 3 degrees Ceslius,” he added.
Wednesday’s minimum temperature was recorded at 8.5 degrees while the maximum was three notches below average at 19.3 degrees.
- Sunny, pleasant Friday in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Clear, sunny Sunday in Delhi (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- Chilly day in Delhi, clear Thursday in store (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Delhi shivers on coldest day in five years (Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- Chilly day in Delhi, dense fog hits train traffic (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Temperature dips in Delhi - Jan 28, 2012
- Delhi experiences season's coldest morning - Dec 14, 2011
- Another chilly day in the capital (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Chilly morning in Delhi, clear day ahead - Dec 17, 2011
- Wet, foggy Saturday in Delhi, to continue Sunday (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Delhi shivers with nippy winds, sunny day ahead - Jan 11, 2012
- Temperature rises in Delhi - Feb 03, 2012
- Pleasant, windy day in Delhi (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Mercury rises in Delhi, warmer days in store (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Pleasant morning in Delhi, rain in store - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: 10 years, bonfires, chill, chilly winds, clear skies, gusts of wind, humidity levels, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, light mist, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, New Delhi, respite from, surprise, three notches, warmth, weather, winter sun