Cold wave claims over 50 lives in Uttar PradeshJanuary 3rd, 2009 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 3 (IANS) Over 50 people have died due to the cold weather in Uttar Pradesh this week as temperatures fell sharply and thick fog engulfed several parts of India’s most populous state, an official said here Saturday.”Over 50 deaths due to the cold were recorded in hospitals across the state in the past week. Most of the victims were pavement dwellers,” a government spokesman told IANS.
The state home department has now issued orders for bonfires to be lit along roads for pavement dwellers. It has also advised the local administrations of various districts to order the closure of educational institutions due to the extreme cold.
On Friday, Agra recorded the lowest temperature of the season at 3.6 degrees Celsius, while in Lucknow it was 4.4 degrees and five degrees in Kanpur. The temperatures rose only marginally Saturday.
“The cold spell will continue for at least another week even though the temperature could rise a little over the next 24 hours,” said state meteorological department director J.P.Gupta.
Saturday witnessed a rise in the day temperature that had plummeted on Friday to this season’s lowest at 12.5 degrees Celsius in Lucknow and as low as 11 in Agra and Kanpur.
The thick blanket of fog disrupted air and rail traffic. Even on the roads vehicles moved at a sluggish pace.
- Some respite from chill, train services still fog-hit (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2011
- North India shivers, fog hits rail traffic (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2011
- 11 deaths in UP, Jharkhand toll 45 as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
- Winter onslaught continues, 11 deaths in UP, Jharkhand toll 45 (Intro Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
- Cold takes 6 more lives in UP; toll rises to 69 - Jan 08, 2011
- Deaths, accidents as cold wave grips north India (Roundup) - Dec 19, 2011
- 12 die in UP, Bhopal sees frost as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- Delhi records coldest day in 5 years, hits rail traffic (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Chill continues in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 29, 2011
- Freezing Sunday sees northern India shivering - Jan 02, 2011
- Cold wave kills 12 in Uttar Pradesh, toll reaches 48 - Jan 05, 2011
- Fog envelopes Agra, trains disrupted - Jan 07, 2011
- Cold wave continues to grip north India - Jan 02, 2011
- North India shivers as winter chill continues (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2011
- Delhi shivers on coldest day in five years (Lead) - Jan 09, 2011