Cold wave claims 22 lives in BiharJanuary 4th, 2009 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Jan 4 (IANS) At least 22 people have died in Bihar in the past two days as temperatures dipped drastically due to an intense cold wave sweeping the plains of north India, officials said Sunday.The dense fog in many parts of the state since Friday night was followed Saturday by a cloudy sky and chilly winds caused by western disturbances, officials in the weather department said.
Gaya district was the coldest in the state with a minimum temperature of 6.8 degrees Celsius while the state capital recorded 7.8 degrees Celsius Saturday, the coldest day in this winter season yet.
Of the 22 people who died in the last two days, five deaths were reported from Nawada district, four from Buxar district, three in Bhojpur district and two each were reported from East Champaran, Muzaffarpur, Darbhanga, Madhubani, and Gaya districts.
The state would witness cold wave conditions in the coming days and the temperature is likely to drop further in the next few days, weather department official S.I. Lashkar said.
The foggy conditions have affected the schedules of several trains and flights.
In view of the weather conditions, the Patna district administration ordered the schools to be kept closed till Jan 7. Most of English medium schools were scheduled to reopen on Jan 5 after winter vacations.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has asked district officials to light more bonfires for the homeless and distribute blankets among the poor.
- Fog derails train services as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Dec 22, 2011
- Cold wave continues to grip north India - Jan 02, 2011
- Bone-chilling winter cold stings northern India, 30 dead in UP (Intro Roundup) - Jan 03, 2011
- Bone-chilling winter cold stings northern India (Roundup) - Jan 03, 2011
- Cold wave claims 11 lives in Bihar - Jan 04, 2010
- Cold wave kills 21 in Bihar, schools shut - Jan 05, 2010
- Cold wave in Bihar ends encephalitis epidemic - Dec 27, 2011
- Temperatures plunge in Rajasthan - Jan 12, 2012
- Sun brings cheer to many, but cold wave continues in north India (Round) - Jan 12, 2011
- A bright sun warms, but freeze continues in north India (Roundup) - Jan 23, 2012
- 11 deaths in UP, Jharkhand toll 45 as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
- Some respite from chill, train services still fog-hit (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2011
- Winter onslaught continues, 11 deaths in UP, Jharkhand toll 45 (Intro Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
- 12 die in UP, Bhopal sees frost as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- North India shivers as winter chill continues (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2011