Cold shuts schools in Kashmir, Leh freezes at minus 11December 5th, 2011 - 12:26 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 5 (IANS) Winter continued its relentless onslaught in Jammu and Kashmir with authorities closing down schools in the Kashmir Valley till Class 8 and the Ladakh region shivering with the mercury at a biting minus 11.4 degrees Celsius.
The minimum temperature in the summer capital Srinagar was recorded at minus 2 degrees Monday morning while it was minus 4.2 degrees in both north Kashmir’s Gulmarg ski resort and south Kashmir’s Pahalgam hill station.
However, the Met office has forecast some relief from Wednesday as it expects light snowfall to bring up the minimum temperature.
“We are expecting light snowfall in the higher reaches, the plains of valley and the Ladakh region. This would provide some relief as the temperature is likely to rise because of the cloud cover accompanying the snowfall,” Sonam Lotus, director of the local Met office, told IANS here.
Because of the earlier-than-usual onset of winter in the valley this year, the authorities ordered closing of all government and private schools up to Class 8.
Leh town in the Ladakh region was the coldest in the state, recording a minimum of minus 11.4 degrees while Kargil recorded minus 7 degrees, the weather office said.
- Night temperatures rise marginally in Kashmir, Ladakh - Jan 03, 2012
- Kashmir shivers in freezing temperatures - Nov 26, 2011
- Fresh snow brings relief in Kashmir - Dec 20, 2011
- Kashmir freezing, Leh at minus 16.6 - Dec 30, 2011
- Cold wave continues in Kashmir, Dal Lake freezes - Dec 27, 2011
- Major snowfall in Srinagar in coming days - Jan 12, 2012
- Mercury rises but Kashmir still freezing - Dec 29, 2011
- Kashmir and Ladakh in deep freeze, Leh coldest at minus 22 - Jan 23, 2012
- Rains, snow break long dry spell in Kashmir - Dec 07, 2011
- Season's lowest in Srinagar, Leh freezes at minus 16 - Dec 25, 2011
- Dal Lake freezes in sub-zero Kashmir - Jan 12, 2012
- Srinagar warmer at minus 2.2 degrees, expects snowfall - Jan 07, 2011
- Cold wave continues across North India (Roundup) - Jan 10, 2012
- Srinagar shivers at minus four, Leh in deep freeze - Dec 16, 2011
- Snowy day forecast in Kashmir Valley, mountains - Dec 19, 2011
Tags: class 8, cloud cover, gulmarg ski resort, jammu and kashmir, kargil, kashmir, kashmir valley, ladakh region, light snowfall, lotus, minimum temperature, monday morning, north kashmir, onset of winter, onslaught, pahalgam, private schools, shuts schools, south kashmir, weather office