Coffee can cure hepatitis CJune 8th, 2011 - 1:08 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 8 (IANS) Coffee, with its numerous virtues, has another one to add to its list - it can treat advanced hepatitis C patients with chronic liver disease.
According to a study, patients who received peginterferon plus ribavirin treatment and drank three or more cups of coffee a day were two times more likely to respond to treatment than non-drinkers.
About 75 percent of people have no symptoms when they first acquire hepatitis C infection. The remaining 25 percent may complain of fatigue, loss of appetite, muscle aches or fever. Yellowing of the skin or eyes is rare at this early stage of infection.
Later people with chronic infection may begin to experience the effects of the persistent inflammation caused by the immune reaction to the virus.
Blood tests may show elevated levels of liver enzymes, a sign of liver damage, which is often the first suggestion that the infection may be present. Patients may become easily fatigued or complain of non-specific symptoms.
“Coffee intake has been associated with a lower level of liver enzymes, reduced progression of chronic liver disease and reduced incidence of liver cancer,” said study-eader Neal Freedman of the National Cancer Institute, the journal Gastroenterology reports.
Approximately 70 to 80 percent of individuals exposed to hepatitis C virus (HCV) become chronically infected. Worldwide, these individuals are estimated to number between 130 and 170 million, according to Cancer Institute statement.
Higher coffee consumption has been associated with slower progression of pre-existing liver disease and lower risk of liver cancer. However, the relationship with response to anti-HCV treatment had not been previously evaluated.
Treatment with peginterferon and ribavirin resolves chronic hepatitis C in about half of patients. It is unknown whether coffee will improve response with the addition of new drugs that were recently approved for use in the US.
- Integrate Hepatitis C testing with HIV: NGOs - Oct 21, 2011
- Coffee may be good for chronic hepatitis C patients - Oct 21, 2009
- Coffee slows liver disease progression in chronic hepatitis C patients - Oct 21, 2009
- New therapy could help beat Hepatitis C virus - Jan 17, 2012
- Drug cocktail shows promise against hepatitis C - Mar 31, 2011
- New vaccine technology shows promise against hepatitis C virus - Feb 24, 2011
- Hepatitis C vaccine undergoing trials - Aug 16, 2012
- Hepatitis could kill 5 mn in Southeast Asia: WHO - Jul 24, 2012
- New generation of drugs to cure hepatitis C - Aug 14, 2010
- Beware! You may be more vulnerable to hepatitis than you think (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 27, 2012
- Hepatitis C virus infection linked to fat enzyme in liver cells - Oct 11, 2010
- Hepatitis C: Cure and control, right now! - Jul 29, 2010
- Clinical trial offers hope for Hepatitis C patients - Mar 15, 2011
- New find may offer protection against hepatitis C treatment-related anemia - Jan 26, 2011
- Best treatment regimen for hep C - Jan 05, 2010
Tags: chronic hepatitis c, chronic infection, chronic liver disease, coffee consumption, coffee intake, fatigue loss of appetite, hcv treatment, hepatitis c, hepatitis c infection, hepatitis c patients, hepatitis c virus, immune reaction, journal gastroenterology, liver cancer, liver damage, liver enzymes, loss of appetite, national cancer institute, persistent inflammation, ribavirin treatment