Coe backs Thompson to light the Olympic flameJuly 15th, 2011 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 15 (IANS) London Olympics Organising Committee chairman Sebastian Coe nominated Daley Thompson as his choice to light the Olympic flame in just over a year’s time.
Coe, who like Thompson won gold at the 1980 and 1984 Games, said that he has already ruled himself out of the running to light the cauldron July 27, 2012 in the Olympic Stadium. He said that if it was for him to select, it would be Thompson because he was “a mate” and also happened to be “the greatest Olympian we’ve delivered”.
Coe, however, said that he has now left the selection to Danny Boyle, the film director who is overseeing the opening ceremony.
“I have now formally decided I am going to absent myself from any further discussions and judgments - not that we’ve had any yet - but I am now out of it. Now that I’ve absented myself from that decision, that’s where my vote would go,” Coe was quoted as saying by The Guardian.
“It will be a synthesis of our creative teams and Danny Boyle. It may be quite obvious at the time. I think we rather assume it needs to be an Olympian. If you think back to 1948 it was a really unknown 400m runner, John Mark. My gut instinct is it needs to be an Olympian,” said Coe.
Other names which are doing the rounds are, Steve Redgrave, Britain’s most successful Olympian, with five rowing golds between 1984 and 2000, Dame Kelly Holmes, Chris Hoy and David Beckham.
- Steve Redgrave is public's choice to light Olympic cauldron - Jul 22, 2012
- Seven teenagers light London Olympics cauldron - Jul 28, 2012
- Hoy to carry British flag at Olympics - Jul 23, 2012
- Spectacular, innovative opening to 2012 London Olympics (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- British PM brings sports icons like Coe to India - Jul 26, 2010
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Boyle's Olympic creation narrative of British history (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2012
- I won't be doing London Olympics: Ringo Starr - Jul 25, 2011
- Sebastian Coe's effigy burnt on Bhopal gas tragedy's 27th anniversary - Dec 02, 2011
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- IOA president asks IOC to remove Dow as Olympics sponsor - Dec 20, 2011
- Danny Boyle to be 2012 Olympic opening director - Jun 17, 2010
- Beatles, Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols to perform together at London Olympics? - Apr 25, 2011
- London Paralympics open in 'journey of discovery' - Aug 30, 2012
- Daley Thompson is Olympian most Brit gays want to date - Aug 06, 2008
Tags: cauldron, committee chairman, creative teams, daley thompson, david beckham, doing the rounds, film director, guardian, gut instinct, judgments, kelly holmes, london olympics, olympic flame, olympic stadium, olympics, opening ceremony, organising committee, sebastian coe, steve redgrave, synthesis