Coastguard to induct fifth indigenously built vesselMay 19th, 2008 - 8:49 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) The Coast Guard will Tuesday induct its fifth indigenously built Advanced Offshore Patrol Vessel (AOPV) - ICGS Sankalp - in Goa, a defence ministry official said here Monday. “Defence minister A.K. Antony will be present at the ceremony in Goa to induct ICGS Sankalp,” the official said.
Built at the Goa Shipyard Ltd, the 2,300-tonne AOPV would be equipped with the indigenously built Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) and five high-speed boats for search and rescue, prompt interception, and marine pollution response missions.
“It is equipped with sophisticated navigational and communication sensors. The special features include an integrated bridge system, integrated machinery control system, high power external fire fighting system and two indigenously built gun mounts,” the official said.
Besides, an infra-red surveillance system will impart the vessel with night vision capability.
The 105 metres long ship will be based in Mumbai. It is propelled by 8,000 horse power twin diesel engines and its maximum speed is 25 knots. It can sail up to 6,500 nautical miles without refueling.
The Coast Guard plans to induct one more AOPV, three Pollution Control Vessels (PCVs), five Inshore Patrol Vessels (IPVs) and 11 Interceptor Boats (IBs), which are under various stages of construction at the Indian shipyards, into its fleet by next year.
- Coast Guard inducts inshore patrol ship - Aug 29, 2012
- ICGS Rajtarang commissioned in Chennai - May 19, 2012
- Coast Guard commissions pollution control vessel - Oct 09, 2010
- GRSE launches two patrol vessels for Coast Guard - Aug 06, 2012
- Antony to induct 5th AOPV 'ICGS Sankalp' into coast guard tomorrow - May 19, 2008
- Antony to induct 5th AOPV 'ICGS Sankalp' into coast guard today - May 20, 2008
- Offshore patrol vessel joins Indian Coast Guard's Eastern Command fleet - May 20, 2010
- Antony commissions new generation Coast Guard vessel - Mar 17, 2010
- Goa shipyard to build six patrol vessels for Coast Guard - May 09, 2012
- Coastal security radar stations to be ready this year - Feb 15, 2012
- Defence shipyard eyeing markets in Middle East, Africa - Aug 24, 2011
- Defence Secretary commissions Coast Guard ship C-147 in Goa - May 28, 2010
- New interceptor boat for coast guard in Gujarat - Jun 17, 2011
- New Coast Guard interceptor vessel commissioned - Oct 02, 2010
- Coast Guard to get four new stations to plug security gaps in eastern region - Feb 10, 2010