Coal India to invest Rs.100 bn to revive mines in JhariaFebruary 18th, 2009 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 18 (IANS) State-run Coal India Ltd will invest Rs.100 billion (Rs.10,000 crore) to revive coal mines at Jharia in Jharkhand, a top official said here Wednesday.
“Jharia coal mines are highly under-utilised and only coking coal is produced there. If the mine fire at Jharia is controlled and this facility is properly utilised, it alone can cater to the coking coal need of the whole steel industry,” Coal India chairman and managing director Partha S. Bhattacharyya told reporters on the sidelines of a conference.
The investment will be used to control the mine fire and install modern technologies for mining, he added.
“We are already in talks with major steel producers and the government. The only single issue is the rehabilitation of 100,000 families that has to be taken care by both government and the steel companies,” Bhattacharyya said.
The Jharia project had faced several roadblocks because of protests raised by affected people for proper rehabilitation.
“We are finding out a solution and the broader project plan to implement it,” Steel Minister Ram Vilas Paswan, who was also present at the programme, said.
- Haldia Coke raises Rs.125 crore from Gaja Capital - Jul 26, 2010
- Mine fire threatened Jharia will vote for rehabilitation - Nov 23, 2009
- CIL in advanced talks for buying stake in Aussie firm - Nov 23, 2010
- Coal India braces for fresh bids in Mozambique - Jul 02, 2011
- Tata Steel to pursue growth in Asia and Africa - Jul 23, 2012
- HPL eyes two projects to beat financial crisis - Oct 26, 2011
- Coal India to invest Rs.40,000 crore in 12th Plan - Sep 12, 2012
- Coal giant looks at huge losses amid closure orders - Aug 24, 2011
- Haldia Petrochemicals expects Rs.10,000 crore turnover this fiscal - Jun 11, 2011
- BCCL, HEC tie up for modern coal washery - Nov 23, 2010
- Bhattacharyya resigns as Haldia Petrochemicals MD - Jun 19, 2012
- Rs.100 crore seized from accounts of contractor, kin - Nov 24, 2011
- Demand growth for steel to cross 10 percent soon: Steel Secretary - Aug 25, 2009
- India's JSW Energy to set up power plant in South Africa - Feb 14, 2012
- Gujarat NRE Coking Coal gets nod for longwall mining in Australia - Mar 28, 2012