Closing ceremony of Beijing Olympic Games beginsAugust 24th, 2008 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 24 (Xinhua) The closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympic Games began in the National Stadium, also known as the Bird’s Nest, in northern Beijing at 8 p.m. Sunday.The gala began amid a display of fireworks that formed a huge circle in the sky that symbolized the complete success of the Beijing Games.
In traditional Chinese culture, circle is a symbol of perfection, harmony and renewal.
The countdown to the closing ceremony started from the number 29, indicating the 29th Olympic Games.
The audience joined the countdown from 10 as the numbers were displayed by firework explosions in the sky.
- China-made fireworks to light up London Olympics - Jul 27, 2012
- Arsenal to play Man City in Beijing's Bird's Nest - Feb 29, 2012
- Chinese leave the world dazed with brilliance on and off the field (LEAD) - Aug 25, 2008
- Closing ceremony countdown in Devnagri script - Oct 14, 2010
- We want to maximise benefits from Olympic Games: Cameron - Jan 10, 2012
- Extraordinary fireworks show lights up Olympic feast - Aug 09, 2008
- Asian Games begin with another awesome Chinese masterpiece (Roundup) - Nov 12, 2010
- Man City beat Arsenal at pre-season friendly - Jul 27, 2012
- Opening ceremonies blow away ranting Canadians - Oct 04, 2010
- Opening ceremony of Beijing Olympic Games begins - Aug 08, 2008
- Brazil lights world's largest floating Christmas tree - Nov 28, 2011
- Liu Xiang arrives in London, eying second Olympic gold medal - Jul 12, 2012
- World welcomes New Year amid blizzard, flood and blasts (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
- Pondering over facilities as Games excitement builds up - Oct 01, 2010
- Western media salutes Commonwealth Games opener (Roundup) - Oct 04, 2010