Clinton ready to step off `high wire’ of politics (Lead)January 27th, 2012 - 12:08 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 27 (IANS) Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who has made clear that she won’t be serving in a second Obama term if there is one, is ready to step off “the high wire of American politics”.
Clinton told State Department employees Thursday that she’s ready to be out of the public eye.
“I think after 20 years — and it will be 20 years — of being on the high wire of American politics and all of the challenges that come with that, it would be probably a good idea to just find out how tired I am.”
The former first lady said she finds it “a little odd for me to be totally out of an election season” after being involved as a presidential and senatorial candidate, and as a key surrogate for her husband’s White House campaigns.
Still, she said she’s enjoying being out of the political back-and-forth and has not watched any of the Republican presidential hopefuls’ debates. “You know, I didn’t watch any of those debates,” she said with a smile.
Clinton also ducked a question about being President Barack Obama’s running mate this year, a rumour that’s been boomeranging for months. “I am happy to work with Vice President Biden, who does an excellent job,” she said.
It is not clear what she would do after leaving the Obama administration, but Clinton’s departure from public life would end a two-person dynasty in American politics after Bill Clinton’s two terms as president, her time as a senator from New York and her tenure as secretary of state, ABC News said.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Tired of publicity, says Hillary Clinton - Jan 27, 2012
- Indian American to head US think-tank - Oct 26, 2011
- Indian-Americans get prime spots at US presidential conventions - Aug 21, 2012
- Bobby Jindal blasts Obama, helps Romney - Jul 17, 2012
- Not running for president, Hilary Clinton reiterates - Oct 17, 2011
- This is my last government job: Hillary Clinton - Dec 04, 2010
- Romney's path cleared; gets Bobby Jindal's backing (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- White House setting up `hot commodity' Michelle Obama for campaign role - May 09, 2010
- Democrats woo middle class, say Romney out of touch - Sep 05, 2012
- No more government jobs for Hillary Clinton (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Indian-American father-son duo quits Obama Administration - Feb 01, 2012
- Clinton tops Obama and others in administration: Gallup - Apr 03, 2011
- India, China giving US stiff competition on jobs: Obama - Jul 01, 2011
- Fai's Kashmir lobby was front for Pakistani intelligence: US - Mar 31, 2012
- Indian-Americans get key spots at Democratic meet - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: abc news, american politics, arun kumar, barack obama, biden, bill clinton, debates, dynasty, election season, first lady, hillary clinton, public eye, republican presidential hopefuls, rumour, running mate, secretary of state, senatorial candidate, state department employees, surrogate, tenure