Clinton, Mamata meet with folded handsMay 7th, 2012 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 7 (IANS) US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton Monday met West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at the state secretariat here, with FDI in retail, the Teesta water treaty and American investment in the state expected to figure in their talks.
Dressed in her customary trouser suit, Clinton reached the Writers’ Buldings - the seat of power in the state - around 11.10 a.m. and greeted Banerjee with a gesture of ‘namaste’.
The two posed for a photo op in the corridor of the first floor of the secretariat, with a smiling Banerjee seemingly explaining to her guest the history of the building and the sprucing up done to welcome her.
Clinton also stood for a while before a portrait of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore that has replaced an old one of the bard of Bengal.
Earlier in the morning, she had said during an interaction at the La Martiniere school for girls that she that she “discovered Tagore in college” and had been a fan ever since.
- Hillary meets trafficking victims, visits Victorial Memorial (Roundup) - May 06, 2012
- Tagore's works among Mamata's gifts for Hillary - May 06, 2012
- Unprecedented security for Hillary's Kolkata visit - May 05, 2012
- Clinton lauds 'incredible contribution' of Indian Americans - May 07, 2012
- Of legends and stars: Mamata, Hillary discuss Tagore, SRK - May 07, 2012
- A treat, says Hillary after Victoria Memorial visit - May 06, 2012
- New nameplate reflects Writers' Buildings' historic change - May 21, 2011
- US to invest in Bengal as 'partner state': Mamata (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Hillary expresses US desire to invest: Mamata - May 07, 2012
- Hillary, Mamata likely to discuss FDI, Teesta treaty - May 05, 2012
- Mamata ties rakhi on officials, journalists - Aug 13, 2011
- West Bengal to organise Tagore anniversary - May 21, 2011
- Mamata invites Obama to Kolkata - May 07, 2012
- Clinton calls for greater debate on FDI, n-cooperation - May 07, 2012
- India's Look East policy essential: Clinton - May 07, 2012
Tags: american investment, bard, chief minister, fdi, folded hands, gesture, girls, hillary clinton, interaction, mamata banerjee, nobel laureate, rabindranath tagore, secretariat, secretary of state, state secretariat, trouser suit, us secretary of state, water treaty, west bengal