Classy Uchimura wins all-around gymnastics goldAugust 2nd, 2012 - 2:28 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Japan’s Kohei Uchimura put in a classy all-around performance to take gold in the men’s gymnastics at the London Olympics here Wednesday.
Uchimara put in five near-flawless routines, and despite a four-point landing on the floor, the Beijing silver medallist held on to win with 92.690 points.
“I’ve been aiming for this for a long time and now I have achieved it,” Uchimara said. “It’s a dream.”
“I have been world champion in the all-around three times in a row, but this is an different feeling. The Olympics are only once in four years so I have been waiting for this moment.”
Marcel Nguyen of Germany scored 91.03 for an unlikely silver on the final rotation when Uchimara’s teammate Kazuhito Tanaka fell off the pommel horse.
“It’s amazing, it’s a dream come true. I had an difficult start. I started on pommel horse and that’s my weakest event, but it went better from apparatus to apparatus,” Nguyen said.
America’s Daniel Leyva took the bronze after a strong final routine on the high bar, scoring 90.698.
British favourite Kristian Thomas’s challenge slipped on the vault, when he stumbled on landing a double pike to score 14.9.
A mid-16s score that he was expected to achieve would have placed him in medal contention.
As it was he finished seventh, on 89.406.
- Olympic gymnastics: Zou powers China to gold, Japan win silver - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: China's Zou Kai retains gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Zhe wins parallel bars gold for China - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Berki slays Brits for pommel horse gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: American Douglas pips Russians to gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Exquisite Kanaeva twirls for rhythmic gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Russia win rhythmic gymnastics gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Silver medallist Afanaseva may quit gymnastics - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic beach volleyball: Americans seal third straight gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Russia beats Britain - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic modern pentathlon: Lithuania's Asadauskaite wins last gold - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic gymanstics: Mustafina wins first women's gold for Russia - Aug 07, 2012
- Perfect Hancock grabs 2nd Olympic gold in skeet - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Romania's Izbasa vaults to gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: South Korea's Yang wins men's vault - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: aug 2, beijing, different feeling, gymnastics, japan, kristian, leyva, london olympics, long time, marcel, medal contention, nguyen, olympics, pommel horse, ria novosti, tanaka, teammate, three times, vault, world champion