Classes begin at new IIT in PatnaAugust 7th, 2008 - 3:31 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 7 (IANS) Classes began at the new Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) here Thursday, a day after the orientation programme. The institute will operate this year out of a temporary campus - a polytechnic here.
“Classes of the first batch of IIT Patna have finally begun. The new institute will be supported by IIT Guwahati in all respects till it gets its own staff and full fledged director,” said Gautam Barua, director of IIT Guwahati, which is the mentor institution of IIT Patna.
The formal inauguration of IIT Patna was deferred two days ago reportedly due to the illness of Human Resource Development Minister Arjun Singh.
India currently has seven IITs. Of the eight new IITs that are to come up, six will begin functioning during the current academic session. Besides Bihar, IITs are to be set up in Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, Orissa, Gujarat, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
IIT Patna dean Samrendra Dandpat told IANS Thursday that as promised, the formal functioning of IIT Patna started on time.
All the 109 students from different parts of the country, studying in the mechanical, electrical and computer engineering streams were attending classes after Wednesday’s orientation programme.
Barua told students during the orientation programme that IIT Guwahati may be low in the ranking of IITs but was more experienced in setting up new institutions.
“I am confident that gradually we will be able to bring it at par with others. This institution has to become independent. By September, we will have staff belonging to IIT Patna and a regular director will also be appointed in the next two months. Till such time IIT Guwahati will continue to support it in all possible ways,” said Barua.
Earlier this year the state’s science and technology department had identified the polytechnic in Patna for setting up the IIT campus. The polytechnic has two hostels and a new building, which can accommodate around 200 students.
The Bihar government has identified a site for the campus close to the state capital here.
- Land acquisition for IIT-Patna to begin soon - Aug 17, 2008
- Kapil Sibal lays foundation of IIT-Patna campus - Apr 19, 2011
- Patna's new IIT ready to start classes from Thursday - Aug 02, 2008
- IIT Patna seeks partnerships with US varsities - Aug 24, 2011
- Need for Kerala to reform higher education: Experts - Sep 14, 2012
- IIT-Patna to start PhD programmes from July - Jun 26, 2009
- What's the hurry to bring common entrance test: IIT faculty - Jun 11, 2012
- Basu plans film on Bihar's 'Super 30' - Sep 18, 2012
- Less than 40 teachers in Bihar's six engineering colleges - Nov 08, 2011
- IIT exam panel behind poor student quality: Super 30 founder - Oct 05, 2011
- Ramesh plays down IIT remarks, recalls long ties - May 27, 2011
- Government has 'complete trust' in IIT, IIM faculty: Sibal - May 26, 2011
- What ails the IITs (Comment) - Oct 25, 2011
- Is even one of our institutions world class, asks Sibal - May 24, 2011
- IIT, IIM faculty is not world-class, says Jairam Ramesh - May 23, 2011