Class 12 boy thrashed for using mobile in school, hospitalisedJuly 23rd, 2010 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 23 (IANS) A Class 12 student of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya in Uttar Pradesh’s Etawah district had to be hospitalised after being allegedly thrashed by his teachers for using a mobile phone in school. A probe has been ordered, officials said Friday.
The Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas are schools governed by the ministry of human resource and development. The student, Rakesh Kumar, was allegedly beaten by teachers Thursday.
Rakesh fainted after being thrashed by a group of teachers inside the cabin of the school principal S.K. Tiwari. In order to hush up the matter, the school administration admitted Rakesh to a hospital and did not inform his family members, police said.
The incident came to light Friday when some classmates of Rakesh managed to approach local journalists and officials of the district administration and complained about the beating.
“Preliminary investigations indicate that corporal punishment was meted out to the student (Rakesh Kumar),” Sub Divisional Magistrate A.K. Awasthi told reporters Friday in Etawah, 300 km from Lucknow.
“The enquiry is being carried out in assistance with senior officials of the education department. We will submit the enquiry report to the state government so that necessary action can be taken against the erring staff,” he added.
According to District Inspector of Schools (DIOS) Gyan Singh, Rakesh is out of danger.
Navodaya Vidyalayas, which function across the country, are run by Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti - an educational organisation under Department of Higher and Secondary Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
- Teacher to face action for thrashing Class 11 student - Aug 12, 2010
- Court orders Rs.10 lakh relief for raped minor girl - Nov 06, 2011
- Two more Jawahar vidyalayas in Manipur - Nov 16, 2011
- Good education not the right of just a few people, says Sonia Gandhi - Sep 08, 2010
- Teachers expose Lucknow schools racket - Jul 26, 2011
- Over 100 students fall ill after medication at health camp - Dec 14, 2010
- Principal suspended for molesting girl students - Mar 05, 2011
- Sonia concerned over teacher absenteeism in rural schools (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Delhi, Andhra schools are 'greenest' - Jul 15, 2011
- Student forced to finish race dies - Feb 11, 2011
- Principals suspended for closing schools on rumours - Sep 10, 2010
- Sonia calls for education with technical inputs - Sep 08, 2010
- Navodaya Vidyalayas lead in CBSE Class 10 exams - May 28, 2010
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya in Tripura hit by sex scandal - Aug 27, 2010
- Six-year-old girl dies as school gate collapses - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: awasthi, classmates, corporal punishment, development government, district administration, education department, education ministry, educational organisation, government of india, gyan singh, hospitalised, human resource development, lucknow, ministry of human resource, ministry of human resource development, navodaya vidyalaya, school administration, school principal, secondary education, senior officials