Clash in Uttar Pradesh city after woman’s deathMarch 26th, 2011 - 5:21 pm ICT by IANS
Allahabad, March 26 (IANS) The death of a woman, who was mowed down by a speeding bus, sparked violence and tension here Saturday as a protesting mob indulged in arson, targeted public property and fought pitched battles with the police after the incident.
According to police, a private bus hit the 40-year-old woman and her nephew while they were riding a two-wheeler in Sarainayat Nagar locality. While the woman died on the spot, her nephew, aged around 25 years, suffered critical injuries and was taken to a hospital.
Demanding that police handover the erring driver to them, the agitators torched the bus, smashed windowpanes of other vehicles, and targeted public property.
“In the wake of the violent demonstration, additional security has been deployed in the area. The situation is still tense, but under control,” police inspector Deepak Soni told reporters in Allahabad, some 200 km from Lucknow.
“We had to use mild force to disperse the agitators. No protester was seriously injured during the incident. The condition of the youth hit by the bus is said to be serious,” he added.
The driver ran away after the accident but was later arrested.
- Angry mob vandalises police post in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 28, 2010
- Locals clash with police over youth's death - Nov 15, 2011
- Violence in Uttar Pradesh town after schoolboy's death - Aug 10, 2010
- Death of school boy sparks violence, 10 injured - Oct 14, 2010
- Violence after girl dies in truck accident - Jul 26, 2010
- Azamgarh tense after student's death in accident - Nov 04, 2011
- Violence after bus mows down 8-year-old - Jan 24, 2011
- Three killed in Chandigarh accident - Jun 19, 2011
- Officials kill truck driver, spark violent protests - Sep 26, 2011
- Locals clash with police after minor's killing - Jul 29, 2011
- Violence in Uttar Pradesh town after minor's death - May 22, 2011
- Truck mows four kids, one killed in police firing - Sep 14, 2011
- Locals clash with police over death of worker - May 05, 2011
- Minor motorcyclist killed in accident - Nov 15, 2011
- Life back to normal in east Delhi, six more arrested - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: additional security, agitators, arson, clash, critical injuries, deepak, locality, lucknow, mob, nephew, old woman, other vehicles, pitched battles, police inspector, private bus, protester, soni, two wheeler, violent demonstration, windowpanes