CJI refuses to comment on cash-for-judge scamMay 23rd, 2009 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 23 (IANS) Supreme Court Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan Saturday refused to comment on the controversial cash-for-judge scam involving two judges of the Punjab and Haryana High Court, saying the question should be addressed elsewhere.
Asked by the reporters here Saturday about the status of the case, Balakrishnan said: “I cannot comment on this issue. You can talk to your chief (chief justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court) regarding this case. You can ask me anything about the judiciary.”
Balakrishnan was here Saturday to inaugurate the newly built campus of the Chandigarh Judicial Academy (for Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh).
The scam came to light when a packet containing Rs.1.5 million in cash was delivered Aug 13, 2008, at the Sector 11 residence of newly-appointed high court judge Nirmaljit Kaur. She complained to the police and a case was registered.
The police later arrested the (then) Haryana additional advocate general Sanjeev Bansal, property dealer Rajiv Gupta and a Delhi-based hotelier Ravinder Singh, who were later released on bail.
Bansal and Gupta told the police that the money was meant for another high court judge, Nirmal Yadav. They claimed that another packet containing Rs.1.5 million was separately delivered to Yadav at her Sector 24 official residence.
Yadav had gone on an indefinite leave a few days after this incident. However, she wrote a letter to High court Chief Justice Tirath Singh Thakur last week seeking permission to resume her duties in the court as the enquiry had not found her guilty.
- SC no to quashing chargesheet against Nirmal Yadav - Sep 10, 2012
- High court dismisses ex-judge's plea against prosecution - Nov 14, 2011
- CBI files chargesheet against judge in Chandigarh bribery scandal (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Cash-in-bag scam: Ex-judge told to appear in trial court - Aug 19, 2011
- Ex-judge gets bail in cash-in-bag case - Aug 27, 2011
- SC no to quashing charge sheet against Nirmal Yadav (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Cash-for-judge scam reaches last stages in Chandigarh - Dec 20, 2009
- Complainant in cash-for-judge scam fails to appear in court - Jan 11, 2010
- CBI court issues fresh summons for former judge - May 18, 2011
- Bar association challenges CBI in cash-for-judge scam - Feb 01, 2010
- Cash-at-door scam: Court adjourns hearing - May 11, 2011
- Cash-for-judge scam: bar association not allowed to argue - Feb 15, 2010
- Court asks CBI not to close cash-for-judge case - Dec 24, 2009
- Cash-at-door scam: Court orders CBI to probe more - Mar 26, 2010
- CBI files charges against tainted judge - Mar 04, 2011