Civic authority denies plans to auction schools for mallsJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 2 (IANS) Denying that the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) proposed to auction land of 60 of its primary schools for construction of malls and hotels, the civic authority Friday said that the allegation was baseless.“The MCD has no plans to auction or sell its primary school premises to bolster its finances or for any other reason,” chairman of MCD’s standing committee Vijender Gupta said.
Gupta added: “The MCD is committed to further strengthen the network of its 1,850 primary schools to provide free and compulsory primary education through these neighbourhood schools.”
A front-page report in a national daily here Friday said that such a proposal was under consideration with the civic body’s commissioner K.S. Mehra.
Mehra too denied that any such proposal was under consideration.
The report also claimed to have “accessed the list of schools that the MCD plans to break down”, adding that these schools are sitting on large plots in areas where no fresh land is available.
- MCD schools asked to implement quota for poor - Feb 02, 2011
- Delhi civic body tightens anti-tobacco measures - Jul 15, 2011
- MCD house rejects agency's division - Aug 05, 2011
- Delhi civic agency given 4 months to clear encroachments - May 12, 2010
- MCD elections: Sheila attacks BJP - Mar 12, 2012
- Congress slams BJP-ruled MCD for proposed property tax hike - Jan 04, 2011
- MCD to set up veterinary hub - Dec 08, 2010
- Uphold ban on horse-drawn carriages, says PETA - Sep 23, 2011
- MCD deflects blame on ghost employees fiasco - Jun 02, 2011
- New Mayor for east Delhi civic agency - May 01, 2012
- MCD may issue temporary licence to hotels ahead of CWG - Apr 15, 2010
- MCD proposes five percent hike in property tax - Dec 08, 2010
- All set for working of trifurcated MCD: Government - Apr 21, 2012
- Civic agency ropes in schools for anti-dengue drive - Jul 30, 2011
- Animal rights groups want tongas to stay off Delhi roads - Jul 18, 2012