Citibank assistant manager held for fraudJune 22nd, 2009 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) An assistant manager of Citibank’s Ludhiana branch has been arrested along with his two accomplices for committing fraud to the tune of Rs. 10 million, police said Monday.
Sleuths of Delhi Police’s Crime Branch arrested Ramneek Kapoor, said to be the mastermind of the scam, along with a father-son duo, Kanwaljit Singh Saluja and Jasmeet Singh, last week from Ahmedabad after registering a case against them June 1 in the national capital.
The police said Kapoor, who holds degrees in business administration, English honours and software engineering from Punjab, had joined Citibank in 2005 and was posted in his hometown, Ludhiana.
“While posted there, Kapoor met Jasmeet Singh and his father Kanwaljit Singh and opened accounts for them. Over a period of time, they became close and decided to engage in credit card fraud. Kapoor provided confidential credit card data from the Citibank server to Jasmeet,” a police officer said.
“Jasmeet then made forged documents, on which new cards were procured. The father-son duo took office premises on rent in Khanna, Gauriya, Jalandhar, Phagwara, Amritsar, Ludhiana, Patiala, Bathinda in Punjab and Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh for the purpose of taking delivery of credit cards,” the officer said, adding the duo used the credit cards at up-market jewellery showrooms in Delhi, Mumbai and Ahmedabad.
According to the police, Kapoor used to take 30 percent of the defrauded amount as his share.
- Centre stays Rajoana hanging, Punjab leaders welcome it (Roundup) - Mar 28, 2012
- Father-son commit suicide in Amritsar - Sep 21, 2011
- Two more executives may be involved in Citibank fraud: Hero - Jan 05, 2011
- Engineering graduate held in credit card fraud - Aug 06, 2012
- Father-son duo arrested for cheating - Sep 08, 2010
- Punjab police officer's body found at farmhouse - Feb 02, 2012
- Citibank fraud: Hero official's police custody extended - Jan 08, 2011
- Man arrested for credit card fraud - Oct 24, 2010
- British team in Punjab to probe murder case - Sep 17, 2010
- Punjab dissolves all improvement trusts - Jul 11, 2012
- Net widens on alleged Rs.300 crore Citibank fraud case (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- Two held for selling medicines illegally - Jun 27, 2011
- Several parties involved in Citibank fraud, says Aggarwal - Jan 05, 2011
- Special police team to probe Reebok India fraud - May 23, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012