CII to set up skills development centre for Kashmir youth (Lead, changing dateline)January 24th, 2009 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Jan 24 (IANS) The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) is setting up a skills development centre in Jammu and Kashmir, a state that has around 300,000 jobless youth who are often targeted for recruitment by militant outfits.CII director general Chandrajit Banerjee said they would establish the centre in partnership with the state government on an investment of Rs.1 crore (Rs.10 million) in various skill development initiatives.
The announcement follows a meeting between Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and Banerjee in this winter capital of the state.
Banerjee reaffirmed the CIIs participation in the development agenda of the state, ravaged by the nearly two-decade-old separatist war.
The CII and the state government will also be actively involved in the initiative that will specifically identify areas and sectors that can be targeted for development.
Abdullah, who took over as the chief minister three weeks ago, has said the unemployment was one of the biggest challenges in the state.
He told Banerjee that his top priority was to improve the skill sets of the youth to meet futuristic job requirements.
According to a 2008 survey, there are 141,000 unemployed youth registered with various employment exchanges in the state, but many jobless youth have not registered themselves with any of the employment exchanges making the rough number the jobless around 300,000.
The chief minister will chair a task force with members drawn from industry and academia to promote tourism, trade and investment in the state.
He also asked the industry lobby to specifically evolve plans for areas such as IT, horticulture and agro-processing that he said had great potential in the state and not disadvantaged by location.
- Rs.150 crore for industrial development in Kashmir - Mar 16, 2012
- Abdullah on panel to spur Jammu and Kashmir industry - Jan 24, 2009
- Essar setting up first BPO centre in Srinagar - Feb 10, 2009
- PM forms expert group on jobs in Kashmir - Aug 10, 2010
- Six lakh unemployed youth registered in Kashmir: Government - Mar 08, 2012
- 'Multi-faceted strategy to address unemployment in Kashmir' - Mar 31, 2012
- Employment plan rolled out for job-starved Kashmiri youth (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Pranab to address US-India economic summit Monday - Jun 26, 2011
- Over 1,000 Kashmiri youths offered jobs - Dec 17, 2011
- Government okays Rs.1,000 crore job plan for Kashmir - Jul 07, 2011
- New job plan for Kashmir to train 40,000 youth (Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Rangrajan panel rolls out job plan for Kashmiri youth - Mar 03, 2011
- Cluster scheme to boost electronics manufacturing: CII - Jul 05, 2012
- 2,000 Kashmiri youth to join paramilitary forces - Feb 26, 2010
- PM reviews jobs plan for Jammu and Kashmir - Sep 26, 2010