CID inquiry into cyber fraud in TripuraMay 13th, 2009 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, May 13 (IANS) Alarmed by a spurt in cyber crimes in the northeastern state of Tripura, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) has launched an investigation to smash the racket, an official said here Wednesday.
“The cyber crime racket comprises both Indians and foreign nationals,” Tripura police spokesperson Nepal Das told IANS.
“We are trying to track down the criminals with the help of our counterparts in other states. It may take some time but we are seeking the help of cyber experts,” he added.
Police have also launched an awareness campaign about cyber crime in the state bordering Bangladesh.
Two youths in the capital lost nearly Rs.1 million to cyber criminals after they unsuspectingly responded to text messages they received on their mobile phones last month.
“Both the youths had deposited the money into two separate private banks following the anonymous messages asking for the amount as processing fee for an online lottery worth millions of dollars. After that, those sending the messages remained silent, forcing the youths to register a police complaint,” Das said.
“Police have found an account in a private bank branch in Noida (in Uttar Pradesh) and some mobile numbers as vital clues,” he added.
A Kolkata based voluntary organisation Social Action Network (SAN) has been working to create public awareness about cyber crimes and make authorities take action.
SAN has organised several seminars in the northeast and asked state governments in the region to train their officials to deal with cyber crime.
- Nasscom sets up cyber lab in Hyderabad - Aug 29, 2010
- Probe into recovery of bullet from Rahul aide - Nov 12, 2011
- Tripura minister's e-mail hacked - Oct 19, 2010
- 12-hour shutdown cripples life in Tripura - Jul 13, 2012
- Three held for killing youth protesting abuse of sister - Feb 26, 2011
- Youth Congress stir against joblessness in Tripura - Feb 15, 2012
- Act against fraud SMSes, says BJP - Aug 19, 2012
- Two rebels held, northeast on alert as I-Day approaches - Aug 09, 2011
- Thousands of Congress activists arrested in Tripura - Aug 19, 2011
- Life in Tripura crippled as Left, Congress call shut-down - Jul 13, 2011
- Tripura gets tough with cyber crime - Mar 24, 2010
- Opposition disrupts Tripura assembly - Sep 05, 2011
- Tripura mothers to receive health alerts on mobiles - Sep 13, 2011
- RBI suggests action against fake lotteries, prize money - Aug 18, 2010
- Tripura to probe illegal financial firms - Mar 07, 2012