CIA team searches Osama’s Pakistan mansionMay 28th, 2011 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 28 (IANS) A team of officials from US spy agency CIA flew to Abbottabad near the Pakistani capital and searched the mansion where Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden was killed in a secret mission earlier this month, a media report said Saturday.
The CIA investigators visited the compound Friday after flying in on a helicopter, sources told The Nation daily.
Witnesses said the helicopter flew in at around 12.45 p.m. amid tight security in the area. Media was denied access to the compound.
Osama was shot dead May 2 by heavily-armed US Navy SEALs who stormed the high-walled hideout located a short distance away from the Pakistan Military Academy.
The US commandos had managed to collect some documents and computer hardware during the 40-minute assault. CNN earlier reported that the CIA wanted to go back to the hideout to see if other material could be found.
The team also wanted to take a close look at the house to learn more about Osama’s stay there, an official said.
Police and intelligence sources Friday confirmed that a group of “special guests” made their way to the compound in two double-cabin cars with a heavy security cordon.
The surrounding area was abuzz with security personnel, with armed men standing on guard on roof tops and manning check points.
The CIA investigators spent around four hours at the compound before flying back around 5 p.m.
The visit was a step towards cooperation amid intense US diplomatic efforts to mend strained relations with Pakistan in the aftermath of the Abbottabad raid.
The CIA has also been granted access to materials that Pakistani security forces recovered from the compound.
Pakistan acceded several days ago to a request by the US to search the mansion. The agreement was reached by CIA Deputy Director Michael Morell and the Pakistani government, CNN said.
- CIA team gets permission to see Osama compound - May 27, 2011
- New stealth drones flew into Pakistan to see Osama house - May 18, 2011
- Osama met Al Qaeda, Taliban leaders at Abbottabad house - May 15, 2011
- Osama probe panel retraces US choppers' route - Sep 14, 2011
- ISI now claims it helped US locate Osama - Apr 28, 2012
- `Osama dead but Al Qaeda still dangerous' (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Al Qaeda determined to make 'new history': report - Apr 30, 2012
- Shots at chest, forehead killed Obama, US looks at seized material (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Wrong to say Pakistan harboured Laden: Ex-ISI chief - May 02, 2011
- Pakistan 'involved or incompetent', says furious US (Roundup) - May 04, 2011
- CIA held fake vaccination drive to get Osama family DNA - Jul 12, 2011
- Courier who led US to Osama was a Kuwaiti (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Apologise for security lapse on Osama: MQM chief - May 04, 2011
- Countdown to Osama bin Laden's end (Lead, with fresh matter) - May 02, 2011
- Al Qaeda had planned major attacks in Pakistan: CIA - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: armed men, cia deputy director, cia team, cnn, diplomatic efforts, heavy security, hideout, intelligence sources, minute assault, morell, navy seals, osama bin laden, pakistan military, pakistani government, roof tops, security cordon, security personnel, spy agency, strained relations, tight security