Churchill in Fed Cup semisDecember 11th, 2008 - 12:59 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 10 (IANS) Okolie Odafe fired a hat-trick as Goan outfit Churchill Brothers moved into the semi-final whipping Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, Bangalore, 7-0 in a group B match of the 30th Federation Cup at the Salt Lake stadium here Wednesday.Churchill’s win put the lid on Mumbai side Mahindra United’s ambitions of making it to the last four. Though both sides finished with seven points, the Goans sailed through with a better goal difference to set up a Dec 18 semi-final clash with statemates Dempo Sports Club.
The Mumbai team humbled Mohammedan Sporting 4-2 in another group B challenge at the Vidyasagar stadium in Barasat, but that was not enough for them to stay alive in the tourney.
For Churchill, the dangerous Odafa scored four goals, while Bineesh Balan struck a brace, and Ogba Kalu Nnannafound the target once.
In the other match, Sporting, who were also in with a chance to make it to the last four provided they beat Mahindra, found their rivals too hot to handle as they trailed 0-4 68 mintues into the game. However, they took revenge of sorts on their conquerors by scoring two goals thereafter that sealed Mahindra’s fate.
Balan gave Churchill the lead as early as in the fifth minute, before Odafe doubled the margin in the 16th minute.
Ogba Kalu Nnanna then found the target in the 17th minute, as Churchill led 3-0 at the breather.
In the second half, Odafe struck in the 61st and 81st minutes, the later one coming from a penalty. In between, Balan got his second goal in the 65th minute, as HAL seemed in deep woods.
HAL’s woes were complete towards the fag end of the game, as Odafe again etched his name in the goal scorers’ list to make the final tally 7-0.
For Mahindra, Steven Dias got the first goal in the 17th minute through a free kick which kissed the upright before going into the net.
Edeh Chidi then found the mark in the 33rd minute to give his side a 2-0 lead at the halfway mark.
Mahindra coninuted their dominance in the second session, and got a penalty in the 56th minute and Mohammed Rafi made no mistake in converting the easiest of setpieces.
Mahindra’s fourth goal also came via a penalty in the 68th minute converted by Chidi, but the script changed in the last few minutes as Sporting narrowed the margin and ousted the jeepmen from the tournament.
Sporting made the scoreline 1-4 as Mohammad Shahid nodded in following a free kick.
Susbstitute Vimal Pariyar then curled in another free kick to make the final scoreline 4-2.
- Salgaocar ride past HAL 4-0, Pailan beat Mumbai FC 2-1 - Sep 21, 2011
- Sporting Clube beat Salgaocar 4-2 in I-League - Nov 05, 2011
- Sporting Clube stun Mohun Bagan in I-League - Jan 19, 2012
- Durand Cup: Churchill start title defence with a win - Oct 27, 2010
- Sporting Clube thrash Mumbai FC 5-0 in I-League - Jan 23, 2012
- Churchill reach semis, Bagan begin with bang in IFA Shield - Sep 05, 2009
- JCT hold Churchill Brothers in I-League - Dec 07, 2010
- Salgaocar lift Federation Cup (Lead) - Sep 29, 2011
- Churchill scrape past Air India in I-League - Feb 02, 2012
- Salgaocar thrash Churchill Brothers 3-0 in I-League - Jan 22, 2012
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
- Sporting Clube register a memorable win against Pune - Feb 01, 2012
- Churchill ride Beto's brace to beat Shillong Lajong 2-0 - Jan 18, 2012
- Sporting Clube beat Lajong 1-0 - Mar 31, 2012
- Dempo scrape past Lajong to top I-League - Jan 22, 2012