Churchill coach slams defenders for Durand title lossSeptember 7th, 2008 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 7 (IANS) Churchill Brothers coach Emeka Ezugo blasted his two central defenders Gourmangi Singh and Govin Singh for the team’s 2-3 loss to Mahindra United in the final of the Durand Cup here Sunday, saying they are not fit to play at any level.”Today we gifted three goals to Mahindra. It was a very bad performance by two central defenders. They play for the national team. Is this the way they play?” a furious Emeka told reporters after his team failed to defend the title at the Ambedkar Stadium.
“They are not good enough for any level as they don’t know the basics of the game. I wonder how they are playing for the national team,” Emeka said about the duo who are favourites of national coach Bob Houghton.
Emeka said before the start of the match he told his boys that in Mahindra team there was only one goal scorer in Edeh Chidi but still his central defenders failed to mark the Nigerian, who scored a brace.
“I can tell you there will be lot of the changes in the team for the I-League. We can’t play like this in the league (which starts later this month) and for sure there will be some changes in the defence as well,” said Emeka, who represented Nigeria in the 1994 World Cup.
On the other hand, Mahindra coach Derek Pereira wore a satisfied look as his team broke a six-year-old jinx.
“We have played well throughout the tournament and the boys deserved it. Last time we came near to lift the Cup but failed to do it. So this time it was in our mind and we didn’t want to return empty handed. There was some pressure but we didn’t give in,” said Pereira.
- I-League: Pune FC take on Salgaocar - Apr 17, 2012
- Mohun Bagan chasing record 17th Durand Cup title - Sep 21, 2009
- I-League: Defending champions Salgaocar go down 0-1 to Dempo - Oct 22, 2011
- Bagan go down to Mahindra United, finish second in I-League - Apr 16, 2009
- Salgaocar lift Federation Cup (Lead) - Sep 29, 2011
- I-League begins Saturday, spotlight on Dempo-Salgaocar clash - Oct 21, 2011
- Dodsal FC enters Durand Cup final - Aug 31, 2012
- Sporting Clube beat Salgaocar 4-2 in I-League - Nov 05, 2011
- India coach names final squad for Nehru Cup - Aug 19, 2012
- Mohun Bagan beat Mahindra to make 27th Durand Cup final - Sep 20, 2009
- Durand Cup: East Bengal crash out, Mohun Bagan demolish ONGC (Lead) - Sep 16, 2009
- Holders Salgaocar eye win against relegated Chirag United - Apr 28, 2012
- I-League: Salgaocar take on Shillong Lajong - May 03, 2012
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
- Tough for India to make Nehru Cup hat-trick - Aug 21, 2012