Churches protest against textbookJune 29th, 2008 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kozhikode, June 29 (IANS) The Sunday morning assembly of laity in Catholic Churches across Kerala became a venue of protest against the controversial Class VII social studies textbook, which they claim teaches children atheism and communism. According to the Catholic Church, the book indoctrinates children with atheistic thoughts and a communist ideology.
The new textbook was issued by the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M)-led Left Democratic Front government this academic year.
A pastoral letter issued by head of Syro Malabar Church Cardinal Varkey Vithayathil was read in churches under the Ernakulam archdiocese.
The letter said that the church can not subscribe to an educational reform intended to cast both God and religion out of people’s lives.
In churches under various other diocese, circulars and pamphlets issued by the bishops concerned against the textbook were read.
“The church will continue its protest till the government withdraws the book,” Stephen Alathara, a priest and the spokesperson of the Kerala Catholic Bishops’ Council (KCBC) told IANS.
As part of the campaign against the textbook many churches Sunday held special prayers and meetings to enlighten the laity on the dangers posed by the new textbook.
The KCBC spokesperson said: “All the diocese will observe a protest day against the textbook Monday.”
- Church's textbook protest spills onto Kerala streets - Jun 30, 2008
- Kerala poll panel asks for report on bishop council letter - Jul 29, 2010
- Catholics in Kerala elated as Alencherry ordained cardinal - Feb 18, 2012
- Syro Malabar Catholic Archbishop Vithayathil passes away - Apr 01, 2011
- Kerala Catholic church to strengthen its labour union - Apr 26, 2009
- Kerala cardinal passes away - Apr 01, 2011
- Cardinal-designate George Alencherry leaves for Vatican - Feb 15, 2012
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Kerala church slams Yechury's remark - Aug 09, 2010
- Church pushes for battle against Marxists in Kerala - Mar 27, 2009
- Catholics upset at cardinal's 'reported' view on shooting - Feb 22, 2012
- Global recession hits 'outsourcing' to Kerala churches - Aug 10, 2009
- Kerala's Jacobite Church orders probe into bishop's claims - Jun 25, 2012
- Dwindling numbers worry Kerala church - Aug 22, 2010
- Textbook row: Kerala Catholics pledge to protect their beliefs - Aug 15, 2008