Church for probe into reasons for Ruchika’s school expulsionDecember 30th, 2009 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 30 (IANS) The Catholic Church Wednesday demanded a “thorough investigation” into “all circumstances” that led to molestation victim Ruchika Girhotra’s expulsion from Sacred Heart School, Chandigarh 19 years ago.
Maintaining that the Church runs the schools “not for expulsion but for excellence”, the Catholic Bishops Conference of India (CBCI) said “all the circumstances should be thoroughly investigated before reaching on a conclusion” as the incident happened 19 years ago.
Ruchika was expelled from the school for unexplained reasons just a month after she was molested by former Haryana Director General of Police (DGP) S.P.S. Rathore Aug 12, 1990.
Ruchika, a budding tennis player, committed suicide three years after the incident.
The Chandigarh administration has already initiated a magisterial inquiry into the role of the leading girls’ school for expelling Ruchika in September 1990.
The administration Tuesday seized records of Sacred Heart school and it was found that Sister Sebastina, the present principal of the school, was also the principal when Ruchika was expelled in 1990.
Said CBCI spokesman Rev. Babu Joseph: “All our schools have been trying to cater to the best interest of the students and their welfare. There can be some human errors due to variety of reasons. They are addressed at appropriate forums and times.”
At one stage the school had cited non-payment of monthly fees as a reason behind Ruchika’s expulsion. Rathore had used this expulsion to counter the chargesheet against him by claiming that Ruchika had been expelled on “moral grounds”.
The priest said the overall track record of the Sacred Heart School shows that it is an outstanding educational institution in the city of Chandigarh.
“And it is unlikely that the school would have taken an action that goes contrary to the interest of the students and the Christian principle of charity,” Babu Joseph told IANS.
A special CBI court in Chandigarh had held Rathore guilty Dec 21 of molesting Ruchika in Panchkula town Aug 12, 1990 and sentenced him to a six-month prison term.
- Inquiry officer likely to question Ruchika's school principal - Dec 31, 2009
- Ruchika case: School principal innocent, says church official - Dec 03, 2010
- Magistrate submits report on Ruchika's expulsion from school - Jan 07, 2010
- Probe report into Ruchika's expulsion from school on Thursday - Jan 06, 2010
- Chandigarh administration initiates probe against Ruchika's school - Dec 29, 2009
- Principal expelled Ruchika, but not Rathore's daughter (Second Lead) - Jan 07, 2010
- Ruchika was never expelled, says school - Jan 01, 2010
- Probe begins into Ruchika's expulsion from school - Dec 30, 2009
- Ruchika case: Punjab and Haryana High Court seeks details of Rathore's promotion - Nov 17, 2010
- Ruchika's school angry over 'irresponsible' inquiry - Jan 10, 2010
- Prayer meet to express solidarity with Ruchika's principal - Jan 17, 2010
- Probe in Ruchika's expulsion from school still on - Jan 03, 2010
- Ruchika's school principal under scanner now - Dec 31, 2009
- Ruchika alma mater defends itself, says her school fees were not paid - Jan 01, 2010
- Ruchika case hearing adjourned till April 5 - Feb 15, 2010
Tags: 19 years, babu joseph, best interest, catholic bishops conference, catholic bishops conference of india, cbci, cbi, chandigarh administration, christian principle, dgp, educational institution, expulsion from, girls school, magisterial inquiry, moral grounds, rathore, sacred heart school, school expulsion, tennis player, unexplained reasons