Church calls Goa official’s casino remark blasphemousNovember 18th, 2009 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Nov 18 (IANS) Goa Director General of Police Bhimsain Bassi’s remark that visiting casinos was like going to temples and churches was “blasphemous” and “shocking”, the Roman Catholic church said Wednesday.
“I was shocked to see the statement coming from a person of that standing, who is supposed to be the guardian of law and order,” Francisco Caldeira, a church spokesperson, told IANS.
Caldeira said it was “blasphemous to compare casinos with temples and churches”, adding that perhaps Bassi did not know the difference between religion and casinos.
Bassi had Monday likened visiting casinos to going to temples and churches.
He was justifying the controversial partying by seven senior police officials who locked themselves up in a bar room to avoid journalists who were invited on board for a press conference. The incident took place aboard an offshore casino MV Casino Royale Nov 12.
But Superintendent of Police Bosco George has said that the police top brass was supportive of their offshore casino visit and that it were the journalists who were “drinking, eating and hogging” on the casino vessel.
“I think they (superiors) are wholly supportive of our action… My DGP has already said whether you go to a temple, church, restaurant or casino… are these illegal places?” George asked late Tuesday.
Bassi’s comment attracted a lot of flak, with opposition leader Manohar Parrikar demanding that he be removed from office for making “insensitive” and “unbecoming” remarks.
- Sack Goa police chief for casinos remark, demands BJP - Nov 17, 2009
- Goa top cop likens going to casinos to visiting temple - Nov 16, 2009
- Cops in casino: top Goa official seeks report - Nov 21, 2009
- Cops' casino visit official: Goa home minister - Dec 18, 2009
- Goa casino says cops were 'guests' - Nov 19, 2009
- Goa government orders probe into casino party by senior cops - Nov 14, 2009
- Four senior Goa cops create stir aboard offshore casino - Nov 14, 2009
- Casino revenue could fund Goa's old age homes: Parrikar - Aug 08, 2012
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
- All Goa churches soon to follow dress code - Jul 15, 2011
- Goa is not Colombia when it comes to drugs: Police chief - May 10, 2011
- Goa police gears up for apex court verdict on Ayodhya - Sep 28, 2010
- More than 100 tombstones damaged in Goa, probe ordered - Mar 12, 2012
- Drugs virtually non-existent in Goa, says senior cop - Apr 23, 2010
- Goa BJP waters down stance on offshore casinos - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: bosco, casino royale, casino vessel, casino visit, dgp, director general, flak, goa, law and order, manohar parrikar, offshore casino, opposition leader, partying, police officials, roman catholic church, s casino, spokesperson, superiors, temple church, top brass