Chronology of Shivani Bhatnagar murder caseOctober 12th, 2011 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 12 (IANS) Following is the chronology of the 1999 Shivani Bhatnagar murder case:
Jan 23, 1999: Indian Express journalist Shivani Bhatnagar murdered at her east Delhi apartment.
July 23, 2002: Police arrest Sri Bhagwan, son of a former Haryana police officer, who had worked under IPS officer R.K. Sharma.
Aug 2, 2002: Police raid R.K. Sharma’s residence at Panchkula in Haryana but can’t apprehend him. Pradeep Sharma, another alleged conspirator, arrested.
Aug 6, 2002: Panchkula court rejects R.K. Sharma’s interim bail application.
Aug 7, 2002: Delhi Police release his picture and declare Rs.50,000 reward.
Aug 8, 2002: R.K. Sharma’s wife Madhu alleges involvement of “an influential person”, demands CBI probe.
Aug 12, 2002: Delhi Police get forensic report on the handwriting and finger prints of Pradeep Sharma. R.K. Sharma files bail plea in a Delhi court.
Aug 13, 2002: R.K. Sharma’s bail plea rejected by a Delhi session’s court.
Aug 15, 2002: Madhu alleges involvement of BJP leader Pramod Mahajan in Shivani’s murder. Mahajan refutes allegations and says he shared a purely professional relationship with Shivani.
Aug 16, 2002: Police give clean chit to Mahajan.
Aug 17, 2002: Police confirm arrest of co-accused Satya Prakash.
Aug 18, 2002: Another accused, Ved Prakash Sharma, picked up by police.
Aug 23, 2002: R.K. Sharma suspended from service.
Sep 27, 2002: R.K. Sharma surrenders in Ambala.
Sep 28, 2002: R.K. Sharma sent to police custody.
Oct 8, 2002: Police claim R.K. Sharma has confessed killing Shivani. The cop’s counsel files contempt application against police.
Oct 25, 2002: Police file chargesheet in the murder case, charging R.K. Sharma for her murder and alleged he had given her classified government documents.
Jan 4, 2003: Case committed for sessions trial.
March 3, 2003: Court frames charges against R.K. Sharma and other five accused.
March 20, 2003: Trial commences.
Jan 23, 2005: Case sent to fast-track court.
July 21, 2006: The Supreme Court stays Delhi High Court and trial court order directing police to furnish copy of case diaries to R.K. Sharma.
Oct 9, 2007: Prosecution claims Shivani intended to expose R.K. Sharma for offences under the Official Secrets Act.
Nov 15, 2007: Prosecution ends arguments.
Nov 23, 2007: R.K. Sharma terms telephone call records “fabricated”.
Dec 4, 2007: R.K. Sharma says his friendly relationship with Shivani was not a “secret affair”.
Feb 29, 2007: Final arguments end.
March 5, 2008: Court reserves its verdict.
March 18, 2008: Court convicts R.K. Sharma along with three other accused for conspiracy to kill Shivani. Ved Prakash Sharma acquitted.
March 20, 2008: Arguments on quantum of sentence completed. Prosecution seeks death penalty for R.K. Sharma, Pradeep Sharma. Court reserves order on sentence for March 24.
March 24, 2008: R.K. Sharma and three others get life term.
Dec 21, 2010: The Delhi High Court reserves judgment on appeals of R.K. Sharma, and his co-convicts against their conviction in Shivani’s murder case.
Oct 12, 2011: The Delhi High Court acquits R.K. Sharma, Sri Bhagwan and Satya Prakash. Pradeep Sharma’s sentence is upheld, saying trial court has rightly convicted him of murder.
- Acquittal of five in Shivani Bhatnagar murder case contested (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Verdict on appeal of Shivani murder case convicts Wednesday - Oct 11, 2011
- Shivani murder: Court seeks police reply on parole plea (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Shivani murder: R.K. Sharma's acquittal challenged in apex court (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Shivani Bhatnagar murder: Ex-cop R.K. Sharma walks free - Oct 12, 2011
- Highlights of judgment on Shivani Bhatnagar murder - Oct 12, 2011
- Acquittal of five in Shivani Bhatnagar case contested - Feb 13, 2012
- Lawyer questioned for criticising Shivani case judge (Lead) - Oct 24, 2011
- Lifer in Shivani Bhatnagar murder granted interim bail - Oct 08, 2009
- Shivani murder case: Convict's bail plea rejected - Mar 26, 2010
- Chronology of Shivani Bhatnagar murder case - Mar 18, 2008
- Shivani Bhatnagar murder accused R.K. Sharma granted interim bail - Aug 03, 2009
- Court issues notice to police over Vikas Yadav's bail plea - Oct 15, 2009
- Three booked for killing hair-stylist - Sep 12, 2012
- When protectors turned molesters in Punjab and Haryana - Dec 23, 2009
Tags: ambala, bail plea, bhagwan, cbi probe, clean chit, delhi court, delhi police, east delhi, finger prints, forensic report, haryana police, influential person, madhu, mahajan, panchkula, police claim, police raid, professional relationship, r k sharma, shivani bhatnagar murder case