Chronology of Mumbai terror attackNovember 29th, 2008 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 29 (IANS) Following is a chronology of the 60-hour terror trauma in India’s financial capital that began Wednesday night and saw the deaths of at least 183 people, including 22 foreigners: Nov 26 (Wednesday)
10 p.m. A group of terrorists, armed with automatic rifles, grenades and explosives, sneak into Mumbai by boat, presumably from Karachi.
10.15 Firing, apparently from automatic weapons, at police and paramilitary forces outside the Taj Mahal Hotel in south Mumbai.
10.20 Firing near Hotel Trident - another five-star hotel - barely a kilometre away.
10.30 Firing near Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus. Suspected terrorists hijack a police jeep near Metro Cinema.
12.00 Firing continues near the Taj hotel where around 2,000 guests and staff were stranded. The top floor of the famous hotel catches fire after a bomb explosion.
Nov 27 (Thursday)
2 a.m. Mumbai Police Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief Hemant Karkare killed in firefight with terrorists. Additional Police Commissioner Ashok Kamte and Mumbai Police ‘encounter specialist’ Vijay Salaskar also killed in separate gun battles.
10 fresh gunshots ring out at the Taj hotel.
2.30 p.m. Maharashtra Director General of Police A.N. Roy says no more hostages in the Taj hotel.
5 An email sent by unknown group, Mujahideen Hyderabad Deccan, to television channels warning of more attacks.
5.30 Flames billow out of a window at the Taj hotel and gunfire heard from the Oberoi Trident. Security forces prepare for final assault.
8 Major fire breaks out inside the Oberoi Trident following a large explosion and gun battles between security agencies and terrorists.
9.30 Senior Army officer says 10-12 terrorists still hiding in the three places.
10.30 Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrives in Mumbai.
10.40 Fire breaks out at the Taj hotel again. Huge flames leap up from the roof.
Nov 28 (Friday)
2.30 a.m. Two blasts heard at Nariman House in south Mumbai.
5 Third blast heard at Nariman House. National Security Guard (NSG) commandos take positions.
6 Silence at the luxury hotels as commandos moved in.
7.15 Commandos airdropped on roof of Nariman House.
12 noon Fresh firing between terrorists and commandos at all three sites.
2.45 p.m. Commandos take control of the Oberoi Trident.
7.30 Commandos battle last of terrorists at the Taj hotel.
Nov 29 (Saturday)
3.50 a.m. Intense gunfire on first floor of Taj.
7.45 Fire breaks out on lower floors of Taj.
8.20 Commandos complete operation at Taj.
12.00 p.m. NSG confirms that all terrorists have been killed at Taj.
3.30 Manmohan Singh meets defence and intelligence officials in New Delhi.
4.30 Indian government announces death toll of 183, including 22 foreigners.
- 26/11 hero glad his ayurveda treatment approved - Jul 22, 2011
- Gunfire still rages as seven terrorists dead, 13 at large (Lead) - Nov 27, 2008
- Several more blasts strike Mumbai''s Trident and Taj hotels - Nov 27, 2008
- Ten terrorists who held Mumbai to ransom - Aug 29, 2012
- I prayed the hotel wouldn't burn, says Mumbai survivor - Dec 04, 2008
- 26/11, a grim reminder of our perilous neighbourhood: Antony - Nov 26, 2010
- Silence at Taj, Oberoi; terror toll 125 - Nov 28, 2008
- Security high in sea, air, land for Mumbai grand finale - Mar 31, 2011
- High drama on final day of siege at Nariman House - Nov 29, 2008
- Chidambaram pays tribute to 26/11 martyrs - Nov 26, 2010
- New weapons, better preparedness since 26/11: NSG chief (One Year after 26/11) - Nov 13, 2009
- Mumbai hostage crisis heads for dramatic finish; commandos airdropped (Second Lead) - Nov 28, 2008
- Terror ordeal continues in Mumbai; 101 killed, hundreds remain trapped (Evening Roundup) - Nov 27, 2008
- Commandos set to end terror drama in Mumbai, 143 dead (Evening Lead) - Nov 28, 2008
- Explosions rock terrorist-held building as commandos move in (Lead) - Nov 28, 2008