Christians observe Good Friday in KeralaMarch 21st, 2008 - 7:59 pm ICT by admin
Kozhikode, March 21 (IANS) The Way of the Cross processions and church services commemorating the passion and death upon the cross of Jesus Christ, marked the observance of Good Friday in Kerala. On the day, faithful thronged pilgrim centres across the state. At St. Thomas Church, Malayattoor, about 52 km from Kochi, thousands took part in the arduous processions to the church located atop the hill, carrying big wooden crosses. It is believed that St. Thomas the apostle prayed on this hill.
In Kozhikode, hundreds of people took part in the 16-km long Way of the Cross at Wayanad Pass across the Western Ghats, praying and singing hymns. This is said to be one of the longest processions of this kind in the world.
In the state capital, addressing a congregation, Thiruvanathapuram Archbishop Susaipakiam urged the believers to remain vigilant against the plots to instil atheism in children. “What we hear nowadays is the talk of those in authority questioning the existence of God and those who promise heaven on earth without God,” the archbishop said.
The Catholic Church has been accusing the state government led by the Communist Party of India-Maxist (CPI-M) of trying to inculcate atheist ideology in school curriculum.
Christians constitute 22 percent of Kerala’s 32 million people.
- Hundreds of thousands pilgrims climb hill shrine Malayatoor - Apr 10, 2009
- Kerala shrine attracts millions during festive season - Apr 25, 2009
- Syro Malabar Catholic Archbishop Vithayathil passes away - Apr 01, 2011
- 500-km human chain for Indian fishermen's sake - Apr 28, 2012
- Church gives Hindu funeral to its hospital doctor - Oct 12, 2010
- Italian marines case: Kerala Police file chargesheet - May 18, 2012
- An Indian church's colourful tribute to Mother Mary - Aug 17, 2010
- Italian magazine proposes Indian archbishop for Nobel Prize - Jun 14, 2011
- Hindus laud Vatican for effort in uniting believers & non-believers - Jan 31, 2011
- Hindus denounce Pope for being offensive to atheists - Sep 17, 2010
- Maramon convention begins in Kerala - Feb 13, 2011
- Archbishop of Canterbury to arrive in India Saturday - Oct 08, 2010
- Archbishop OF Cantebury to undertake 16-day visit of India - Oct 08, 2010
- Carols, crackers mark Christmas in Andhra - Dec 25, 2011
- With choruka, kanji, Kerala observes Good Friday - Apr 06, 2012