Christians in Karnataka are hurt: archbishop tells YeddyurappaSeptember 22nd, 2008 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Sep 22 (IANS) Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa Monday went through embarrassing moments as the Bangalore Archbishop publicly told him that Christians in the state were deeply “hurt” over the attacks on their places of worship.”How would you feel if the ‘garbha gudi’ (Kannada for a temple’s sanctum sanctorum) is destroyed,” Archbishop Bernard Moras asked Yeddyurappa at the portico of his residence in the presence of a media contingent.
“I am telling you publicly, we are very hurt. We cannot express our feelings,” the Archbishop said even as he welcomed the chief minister and TV cameras rolled to catch the scene.
Quickly recovering, Yeddyurappa told the Archbishop: “We are all saddened.”
“We are taking necessary measures,” the chief minister told the visibly upset Archbishop.
The attacks on Christian places of worship began in coastal Karnataka Sep 14 and spread to Bangalore Saturday night with one church broken into and damaged and three others stoned.
- Christians reject report on church attacks: Bangalore archbishop - Feb 05, 2011
- Apologise for anti-Christian remarks: Yeddyurappa tells legislator - Aug 25, 2010
- Bhardwaj relents on doctorate to Kannada scholar, ends row - Feb 07, 2011
- Row over Bhardwaj's stand on doctorate - Feb 06, 2011
- Karnataka to drop cases against Christians - Feb 18, 2011
- Apex court permits access to Kalighat temple's sanctum sanctorum (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Karnataka bishops to protest church attacks - Feb 17, 2011
- Bangalore Christians staged rally against probe reports on church attacks - Feb 22, 2011
- Court bans devotees' entry to Kalighat 'garbha griha' - Apr 20, 2012
- Karnataka orders probe into church attack - Sep 11, 2009
- Will cooperate with CBI on probe into iron ore scam: Shettar - Sep 09, 2012
- Bad day for party but Advani Yatra's Karnataka leg on: BJP - Oct 15, 2011
- Panel clears BJP, Hindu groups of church attacks; opposition cries foul (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- Karnataka to re-impose ban on endosulfan - Apr 30, 2011
- Mining barons Reddys and Yeddyurappa in funding row - Mar 14, 2012