Christians biggest borrowers among Kerala’s minoritiesOctober 12th, 2008 - 3:31 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Oct 12 (IANS) Christians in Kerala, who constitute close to 23 percent of the 320 million state population, account for 57 percent of the total advances given by banks in the state to the minority communities during the year ended June 30, 2008. Of the Rs.161.4 billion ($3.43 billion) advances given to the minorities in Kerala, Christians availed Rs.92.11 billion in 960,726 accounts, according to the figures released at the latest State Level Bankers Committee meeting, held last week.
The Kerala banks gave a total of Rs.801.31 billion in advances to all communities during the period under review.
Muslims who constitute close to 25 percent of the state population availed Rs.69.24 billion in 107,6553 accounts.
Sikhs in Kerala accounted for Rs.21 million in 93 accounts, Zorastrians took Rs.11.3 million in 80 accounts while the neo-Buddhists availed Rs.8.5 million in 62 accounts.
The Aluva (near Kochi)-headquartered private sector Federal Bank led from the front by giving Rs.21.7 billion to 76,193 Christians and Rs.8.98 billion to 29,155 Muslims.
Kerala’s own bank State Bank of Travancore came second when it extended Rs.11.66 billion in advances to 242,100 Christians and Rs.8.4 billion to Muslims.
- Muslims in Kerala celebrate Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Kochi Metro project to go ahead: Chandy - Jun 06, 2011
- 5,000 tonnes of meat consumed a day in Kerala - Sep 04, 2011
- Kerala keen on Sreedharan for Kochi Metro - Jan 03, 2012
- UCO Bank net up by 12 percent in Q4 - May 05, 2012
- Allahabad Bank Q1 net profit jumps 23 percent - Jul 30, 2012
- SBI waives minimum balance for savings accounts - Jul 03, 2012
- Federal Bank to sell Bangalore metro rail tickets - May 29, 2012
- Indian firm gets court nod for Islamic banking concept - Feb 03, 2011
- Huge jump in Indian Bank's NPA - May 11, 2012
- Eid celebrated in Kerala - Aug 19, 2012
- Indian Bank to expand loans against jewels business - Nov 30, 2010
- Kerala banks post marginal growth in advances - Apr 25, 2009
- Kerala showcases opportunities to potential investors (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- It will be Rahul vs Modi in 2014: Beni Prasad Verma - Aug 20, 2012