Christian nominee in Manipur minority commission hailedApril 21st, 2011 - 7:00 pm ICT by IANS
Imphal, April 21 (IANS) The All India Christian Council (AICC) Thursday welcomed Manipur government’s appointment of a Christian representative in the state minority commission saying it would serve better the minorities in the northeastern state.
The AICC, an apex body of the Christian communities in India, in a statement said: “The appointment of the Christian member N. Debendra Singh to the minority commission came after the request and recommendation of the council.”
Quoting AICC president Joseph D’souza, the statement said: “This was a long awaited and much needed appointment by the Manipur government. Now the appointment of the representative from Muslim, Christian and Buddhist communities to the state minorities’ commission would serve each communities’ welfare better.”
The Manipur government recently reconstituted the six-member state commission for minorities headed by A. Halim Choudhury, a retired IAS officer.
AICC secretary general John Dayal said: “Manipur in recent times has experienced a high level of human rights violations against Christian minorities. The appointment of the Christian member in the commission would help the state provide and protect the religious freedom and fundamental rights to all communities, particularly the minority Christian members.”
In Manipur, Christians constitute 32 percent of the total 2.7 million population.
Over 5.5 million Christians live in Mizoram, Nagaland, Meghalaya and Manipur, while there are some Christians in the other northeastern states.
- 'Don't displace Manipuri village to build hotel' - Jul 02, 2011
- NCP legislators engage in public scrap - Oct 27, 2010
- Christians want next vice-president from community - Jun 18, 2012
- Okram Ibobi Singh prioritises issues in Manipur (Manipur Newsletter) - Mar 25, 2012
- Okram Ibobi Singh prioritises issues in Manipur - Mar 24, 2012
- Manipur: Prominent winners and losers - Mar 06, 2012
- Goa plans advisory body on Muslim, Christian issues - Apr 02, 2012
- Apex church body favours Christian president - May 04, 2012
- Naga women's body agitates in Manipur - Feb 09, 2012
- Northeast reviews disaster preparedness after quake - Sep 20, 2011
- Rahul to visit northeast next week - Nov 03, 2011
- India condemns killing of Pakistan minister - Mar 03, 2011
- Kakru to head Andhra rights panel - Nov 22, 2011
- Pranab mulls special package for northeast - Jun 07, 2012
- On Day 100, Manipur warns of 'harsh action' - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: aicc, apex, apex body, buddhist communities, christian communities, christian member, christian members, christian minorities, dayal, fundamental rights, halim, human rights violations, meghalaya, member state, minorities commission, northeastern state, northeastern states, president joseph, religious freedom, souza