Christian man found murdered in Orissa’s Kandhamal districtFebruary 21st, 2009 - 12:03 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 21 (IANS) A 40-year-old Christian man has been found murdered in Orissa’s Kandhamal district, police said Saturday. At least 38 people, mostly Christians, were killed in the district in communal riots last year.
Hrudananda Naik, a resident of Rudangia village, was found dead in a nearby forest Thursday. Police found injury marks on his head and near one of his ears.
“Somebody may have hit him on the head, causing his death,” District Superintendent of Police S. Praveen Kumar told IANS.
“I am not sure if his death has anything to do with the communal violence. Our investigation is on,” he added.
However, Prasanna Kumari Naik, mother of the victim, has submitted a written complaint to the police, alleging the hand of last year’s rioters in the murder.
Kandhamal district, about 200 km from here, witnessed violence after the murder of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides Aug 23.
While police blamed Maoists for the killings, some Hindu organisations held Christians responsible for the crime and launched attacks on the community. Christian groups have repeatedly denied any involvement in the murders of Laxmanananda and his aides.
At least 38 people were killed and thousands of Christians were forced to flee their homes in the district after being attacked by rampaging Hindu mobs. Officials say about 4,000 people are still living in government-run relief camps in the district.
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Two get six-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Jun 30, 2010
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010
- Christmas celebrations pass off peacefully in Orissa - Dec 25, 2010
- Eight get jail terms for Kandhamal violence - Nov 26, 2010
- Kandhamal people fear Maoist attack - Nov 29, 2010
- BJP legislator surrenders after apex court rejects bail - Mar 09, 2011
- Convicted BJP legislator gets bail in Kandhamal murder - Mar 18, 2011
- Kandhamal riots case: Man gets three-year jail term - Sep 29, 2010