Chouhan writes to PM against national anti-terror hubFebruary 18th, 2012 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Feb 18 (IANS) Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan Saturday wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh urging him to reconsider the setting up of National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC).
The letter comes a day after he joined the chief ministers from West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Odisha and Bihar in opposing the anti-terror hub plan.
Chouhan said the creation of such an authority without consultation with state governments was a terrible blow to the spirit of federalism.
He said that public order and police were a state subject, and therefore, the states were required to legislate and implement the laws on them.
The chief minister in his letter wrote that the central government had taken a unilateral action for he creation of the NCTC and empowered it under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, vesting its officers with powers to arrest and search anywhere in the country.
Chouhan said the state government had always been committed to taking steps against terrorism and organised crime.
In order to create an effective mechanism for countering terrorism in the state and to empower the state law enforcing agencies, the Madhya Pradesh Terrorism and Organised Crime Control Bill was passed by the assembly in 2007, he said.
The bill was not approved by the central government till date, he said.
- Madhya Pradesh CM warns against unilateral decisions on security - Apr 16, 2012
- Opposition CMs lambast government for security overreach (Roundup) - Apr 16, 2012
- Nitish, Patnaik again oppose NCTC, write to PM (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Nitish, Patnaik, Jaya write to PM against NCTC (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Punjab cabinet rejects NCTC proposal - Feb 24, 2012
- PM assures CMs on anti-terror hub, creation to go ahead (Intro Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- Anti-terror body is interference in state's sovereignty: Chouhan - Feb 17, 2012
- Counter terror body: Patnaik wants review - Feb 14, 2012
- PM writes to chief ministers on anti-terror hub - Feb 21, 2012
- NCTC may be delayed, home secretary to meet police chiefs - Feb 24, 2012
- Nitish again opposes NCTC - Feb 20, 2012
- What chief ministers said against NCTC - May 05, 2012
- Patnaik asks other states to protest anti-terror body - Feb 15, 2012
- RLD wants CBI probe into IPS officer's killing - Mar 11, 2012
- NCTC doesn't violate federal structure: Chidambaram (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: bhopal, bihar, central government, chief minister, chief ministers, counter terrorism, countering terrorism, crime control, federalism, manmohan, manmohan singh, prevention act, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, state governments, state subject, taking steps, tamil nadu, unilateral action, west bengal