Chopra tied seventh, Kapur way behind in Australian Masters golfNovember 27th, 2008 - 8:05 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Nov 27 (IANS) Indo-Swede golfer Daniel Chopra opened with a hat-trick of birdies and finished with a card of two-under 70 for tied seventh at the end of first round of the Sportsbet Australian Masters here Thursday. However, things were not too good for India’s Shiv Kapur, who had a disastrous second nine, the front stretch of the Huntingdale course, and finished with a card of six-over 78 that placed him tied 133rd and will miss the cut unless he comes up with a stunning second round.
Scott Hend and South African Tim Clark were the clubhouse leaders on a day when a violent electrical storm swept across Huntingdale during the first round. That delayed play for almost three hours. Later in the evening another 90 minutes of play was possible when the weather cleared up.
The break was a blessing for Clark who picked up two strokes when he returned to complete his final four holes in conditions far more benign than when play was postponed.
The highlight of Clark’s earlier exploits was a pair of eagles at the 535 yard par five seventh, and the 495 yard par five tenth, both of which were playing downwind.
A total of 48 players will need to complete their unfinished first rounds Friday morning, none of which is of any great concern to Hend who signed at lunchtime for a five-under 67.
Hend and Clark lead by two shots from Australians Anthony Brown and Michael Wright and England’s Daniel Wardrop who completed rounds of 69.
- Kapur lying second at KLM Open, Jeev fifth - Sep 10, 2010
- Khalin beats Chikka to win Samarvir Sahi golf - Mar 02, 2012
- Lahiri drops to 12th, Bhullar moves up to 24th - Aug 06, 2010
- Indian pair Jeev, Shiv tied third in Morocco golf - Apr 02, 2011
- Chowrasia best Indian despite closing triple, Rai makes cut - Dec 17, 2010
- Jyoti rallies after a slow start at Singapore Open - Oct 29, 2009
- Hiratsuka wins dramatic playoff at Black Mountain, Chowrasia 40th - Dec 19, 2010
- Spaniard Cabrera-Bello leads; Kapur, Jeev one behind - Feb 18, 2011
- Barry Lane turns the clock back, Gangjee best Indian - Feb 12, 2010
- Ashbeer holds four-shot lead at Surya Nepal Masters - Apr 23, 2010
- Bhullar finishes a creditable tied 30th in Portugal - Jun 14, 2010
- Khalin takes top spot at Lalit Suri all-India junior golf - Dec 29, 2009
- Vani takes four-stroke lead in women's golf - Sep 05, 2012
- Smriti takes big lead at Women's Pro Golf Tour event - Mar 29, 2012
- Lahiri moves to tied sixth in Selangor Masters - Aug 05, 2010