Chopper with Arunachal chief minister missing (Second Lead)April 30th, 2011 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
Itanagar, April 30 (IANS) Mystery surrounds the whereabouts of a helicopter carrying Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu with authorities in Bhutan denying earlier official claims that it had landed there amid rough weather.
The Eurocopter AS350 B3 helicopter owned by Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd took off from Tawang helipad near the border with China in the morning and was still untraceable till late evening, officials said.
“There is no confirmation of any news about the helicopter. There has been no contact with the five people on board, and we don’t know the details as of now,” MP Takam Sanjay told IANS.
Earlier, officials had come on record to say that the chopper had landed safely in Bhutan.
Around 2 p.m., Arunachal Governor Gen (retd) J.J. Singh and the chief secretary went on record and told the media that the chopper had landed safely with five passengers. The chief minister’s adviser Kiren Rijiju confirmed the news and added that the chief minister was flying back to Guwahati.
However, authorities in Bhutan said that no Indian helicopter had landed in Bhutanese territory, adding to the confusion.
The Indian government is in touch with Bhutan to trace the missing chopper, Rijiju said.
“We are in constant touch with the central government at the highest level. Initially, we had been told the chopper has landed, but conflicting reports are coming in,” Sanjay said.
The four-seater Pawan Hans chopper took off from Tawang helipad, perched at an altitude of 11,000 feet, for state capital Itanagar at 9.50 a.m. The helicopter was scheduled to land at at the Raj Bhavan helipad 11.30 a.m.
The helicopter lost radio contact 20 to 25 minutes after take-off when it was flying over the Sela Pass.
Besides two pilots and the chief minister, a personal security officer and a woman relative of Dorjee Khandu were on board.
- Chopper with Arunachal chief minister still missing (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Arunachal chief minister's chopper lands safely in Bhutan (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Chopper with Arunachal chief minister still missing (Third Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Massive search operation to locate Arunachal Pradesh CM - Apr 30, 2011
- Chopper with Arunachal chief minister missing (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Arunachal chief minister's chopper was new: Pawan Hans - May 01, 2011
- Chopper carrying Arunachal chief minister still missing (Night Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Arunachal Pradesh CM Khandu safe, chopper lands safely in Bhutan - Apr 30, 2011
- Wreckage of helicopter carrying Arunachal CM found - May 04, 2011
- Eyewitnesses in Bhutan say they saw chopper trying to land - May 01, 2011
- Mystery over Arunachal Pradesh CM Khandu's whereabouts deepen - Apr 30, 2011
- Pawan Hans says missing chopper was in perfect condition - May 01, 2011
- Krishna condoles demise of Arunachal CM Khandu - May 04, 2011
- Arunachal Pradesh CM on board Pawan Hans chopper goes missing - Apr 30, 2011
- Arunachal Pradesh CM Khandu safe, chopper lands at Daporijo - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: chief minister, chief secretary, chopper, conflicting reports, constant touch, helipad, indian government, indian helicopter, kiren, late evening, mystery surrounds, pawan hans helicopters, pawan hans helicopters ltd, personal security, radio contact, raj bhavan, rough weather, sanjay, security officer, sela pass