Chopper service for Manimahesh pilgrims in HimachalSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 12:21 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 3 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh government has started a helicopter service to ferry devotees to the high altitude Manimahesh lake in Chamba district, though just five days are left before the pilgrimage dedicated to Lord Shiva ends.”The copter service started Tuesday on the demand of devotees who are unable to trek the 14 km through rugged mountains,” said Chamba additional district magistrate Naresh Kumar.
“The four-seater copter ferries devotees between Bharmour tribal valley and Gauri Kund, which is located near the oval-shaped Manimahesh lake,” said Kumar.
The fare for one trip is Rs.9,000 per person.
Devotees take the holy dip in the icy waters of the lake and offer prayers to Mount Kailash, which is believed to be the abode of Lord Shiva.
The Manimahesh pilgrimage started Aug 24 and concludes on the occasion of Radhaastami, (Sep 8)
More than 300,000 devotees have so far taken a dip at the lake, located at an altitude of 4,170 metres.
- Shiva's mace procession begins in Himachal - Aug 29, 2011
- Manimahesh pilgrimage begins in Himachal - Aug 22, 2011
- Shiva's mace procession in Himachal begins Wednesday - Sep 06, 2010
- Chopper service for Himachal's Manimahesh pilgrims - Sep 01, 2010
- Chopper service to Himachal's holy Manimahesh lake starts - Aug 18, 2009
- Heading for 'Shiva's home' - to keep it clean (Feature) - Jul 18, 2011
- Garbage girl in a new clean cause - Aug 17, 2011
- Now British 'garbage girl' to clean Shiva's abode - Aug 17, 2010
- Manimahesh pilgrimage to begin Aug 10 in Himachal - Jul 13, 2012
- 100,000 devotees take dip in Himachal lake - Sep 05, 2011
- 'Garbage girl' gets 'Green Hero' award - Jul 02, 2010
- Devotees begins annual pilgrimage to Manimahesh Lake in Jammu and Kashmir - Sep 04, 2010
- Mercury dips, Himachal lakes begin to freeze - Nov 12, 2011
- Devotees visit Manimahesh Lake in Himachal Pradesh - Aug 19, 2009
- British 'Mountain Cleaners' give green lessons in Himachal hills - Nov 10, 2010