Chopper case: Romesh Sharma gets 10-year jail (Lead)July 23rd, 2012 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 23 (IANS) Romesh Sharma, a suspected aide of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, was Monday awarded 10 years’ imprisonment by a Delhi court in a cheating and extortion case in which he grabbed a complainant’s helicopter in 1996.
Additional Sessions Judge Sanjeev Jain also slapped a fine of over Rs.17 lakh on him for the offences of cheating, extortion, dishonestly receiving stolen property, kidnapping, criminal intimidation and conspiracy.
Since he had already undergone imprisonment for 10 years during the trial, he would not go to jail, Sharma’s lawyer said.
The court was hearing a case against Sharma lodged by H. Suresh Rao in 1998. He alleged that Sharma cheated him and grabbed his Bell-47 helicopter.
In its chargesheet, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said that Sharma came in contact with Rao in 1996 and expressed his desire to hire his chopper for campaigning in an election. After using the chopper Sharma refused to return it.
The chopper was later seized by the Delhi Police from the city. The case was later transferred to the CBI.
Co-accused Harish Mishra was convicted for cheating and criminal conspiracy and awarded seven years jail term.
The court also awarded three and half years jail term to Sharma’s accomplices Avtar Singh Ahluwalia, M.D. Bhojwani, Naveen Buddhiraja, Manoj, Avdesh and Indermani for the offence of dacoity and hatching a criminal conspiracy.
Another accused Laxman Singh was awarded three years’ jail term.
- Chopper case: Romesh Sharma gets 10-year jail - Jul 23, 2012
- Chopper case: Bail for suspected Dawood aide Romesh Sharma (Lead) - Oct 18, 2011
- Ex-CWC official gets four-year jail term in graft case - Aug 17, 2012
- Two get life term for murder of Meerut university professor - Sep 23, 2011
- Man gets 3 years' jail for impersonating in AIIMS exam - Jun 13, 2012
- Court imposes Rs.5 crore penalty for cheating - Jun 05, 2012
- Seven officials jailed for fraudulent land allocation - Sep 03, 2012
- Five years jail for Sukh Ram in third graft conviction - Nov 19, 2011
- Court convicts Sukh Ram in 1996 telecom case - Nov 18, 2011
- I will appeal to higher court: Sukh Ram - Nov 19, 2011
- Court charges AIIMS officials with corruption - Aug 27, 2012
- CWG case: Bhanot, Verma's judicial custody extended - May 05, 2011
- Corruption major roadblock in India's development: Court - Mar 23, 2012
- 2G: Court issues notice to CBI on Behura's plea - Jan 20, 2012
- Graft case: Apex court grants bail to Sukh Ram, two others (Third Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: accomplices, ahluwalia, bell 47 helicopter, central bureau of investigation, complainant, criminal conspiracy, criminal intimidation, delhi court, delhi police, don dawood ibrahim, extortion, jail term, lakh, laxman, manoj, mishra, naveen, receiving stolen property, romesh sharma, sanjeev