Choice of candidates in Delhi cost the BJP dearly: JavadekarDecember 8th, 2008 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 8 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) lost because of the selection of candidates in the Delhi assembly elections, party leader Prakash Javadekar said Monday as the Congress under Sheila Dikshit inched towards a third term. “We lost because of selection of candidates,” Javadekar told reporters.
“I know five-six candidates who were not there. We could have given tickets to better persons. Last time, we had won 20 seats and this time we came close to 30,” he said, adding that a better selection process could have given them “five or six more seats”.
However, the leader endorsed the choice of V.K. Malhotra as chief ministerial candidate. “He is a very senior leader.”
His colleague Ravi Shankar Prasad said he could not “fathom the reason” behind the poor showing of his party in the national capital.
The Congress seemed poised for a win in the 70-member Delhi assembly.
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Intro Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Fourth lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Civic polls: Did trifurcation move boomerang? - Apr 17, 2012
- Defeat in Delhi civic polls a wake up call to Dikshit - Apr 19, 2012
- Don't indulge in blame game over CWG: Sheila - Aug 23, 2010
- Can't discuss CAG report before PAC's examination: Dikshit - Aug 30, 2011
- Development work, wider support gets BJP resounding results in Bihar - Nov 24, 2010
- Sad that Ahluwalia lost: BJP - May 03, 2012
- BJP legislators removed from Delhi house, leaders walk out - Mar 24, 2011
- MCD campaign: BJP banks on stars, Congress on ministers - Apr 07, 2012
- Congress to face opposition heat over CAG report - Aug 05, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi's team performed well, says Youth Congress chief - May 14, 2011
- No constitutional breakdown in Delhi, asserts Dikshit - Nov 26, 2010
- Family raj, Catholic swing caused Goa loss: Congress - Mar 13, 2012